Will Intel Ever Support SLI?

RipperMac

Limp Gawd
Sure would be nice to be able to experience 8800GT in SLI on an Intel board....have the nimrods at Nvidia and Intel made any progress on native Intel support...or will it forever be a pipe dream?

Intel would support SLI if nvidia let them. This may change though. I haven't been following the story recently, but Intel had been refusing to let nvidia make chipsets for intels next gen of chips, presumably in response to nvidia restricting SLI. Maybe they'll come to some type of agreement.

One company is being too cheap (intel) and one company is being too greedy (nVidia).

One company is the boss (intel) and the other company seeks to be the boss (nVidia).

Thus the power struggle ensues and we have war. It's like the MOB, when you're the apprentice (although nVidia is not literally the apprentice of intel, rather they're gaining the experience as if they are) of the Don you seek to be the Don one day too. nVidia is seeking to be the Don now, and not later. I don't think this is a bad thing but like any struggle there are always casualties. Both sides have legitimate arguments.

Which is what I said I think... Bad elaboration again.
nVidia = not there yet
intel = the Don

Really sux...in protest I think my next vid card purchase will be AMD/ATI :)
who am I kidding

Intel would support SLI if nvidia let them. This may change though. I haven't been following the story recently, but Intel had been refusing to let nvidia make chipsets for intels next gen of chips, presumably in response to nvidia restricting SLI. Maybe they'll come to some type of agreement.

Interesting. I always wondered what Intel could do to Nvidia to get SLi support, never thought they'd go that far. Frankly, I don't see why Nvidia doesn't allow it. The gains in sales they'd make from SLi would far outweigh their loss in sales if 680i/780i boards, and maybe it would make them design a better performing and more stable chipset for intel.

Well I dunno if anyone knows but it's already been stated that there will be an intel motherboard that supports SLI.... the skulltrail. The only bad thing about it is that you have to get fb dimms on it bc it's a server type board. It's meant for gaming but uses dual Socket 771. Oh well I just can't wait to see how well the final product will be.

Well I dunno if anyone knows but it's already been stated that there will be an intel motherboard that supports SLI.... the skulltrail. The only bad thing about it is that you have to get fb dimms on it bc it's a server type board. It's meant for gaming but uses dual Socket 771. Oh well I just can't wait to see how well the final product will be.

The intel skulltrail supports sli because it uses an nvidia chipset to run it.

Personaly I would love to see nvidia support sli on intel chipsets. Would be a nice combo.

its been stated by a couple rumor sites that Intels Skulltrail was looking for SLI support. No love from Nvidia for that idea. I have yet to see any official documentation stating "yes there will be SLI support on X48'.

Considering the two care calling each other names, I think its more likely that Nvidia said "no (period)".

on a side note, Faud says "We already told you that there is a big feeling that Nvidia and Intel have started to confront each other, and now we have some proof of it." I think this is more important then the actual story. We gotta get this in tomorrows newspaper:

Faud, for the first time ever, claims he has "Proof".

Doesn't make sense for nVidia to support SLI on intel chipset because they are also making cpu chipsets themselves.

Its all about cornering the market. If SLI is only supported on nVidia chipset, every user WILL have to use nVidia chipset motherboard to powerup their SLI *kaching kaching $$*

To some extent I agree...however SLI is still a niche market for mostly enthusiasts and as long as single card solutions can be competitive they really don't have to worry about the average user switching to their chipset boards[not me anyway]...heck..they might end up ceding the market to ATI/AMD...which I'm sure chipzilla would hate:eek:...does Xfire work on a Nvidia board?:confused:

Doesn't make sense for nVidia to support SLI on intel chipset because they are also making cpu chipsets themselves.

Its all about cornering the market. If SLI is only supported on nVidia chipset, every user WILL have to use nVidia chipset motherboard to powerup their SLI *kaching kaching $$*

its been stated by a couple rumor sites that Intels Skulltrail was looking for SLI support. No love from Nvidia for that idea. I have yet to see any official documentation stating "yes there will be SLI support on X48'.

Intel's Skulltrail does support SLI as has been stated in the [H] preview of it. Intel managed to get SLI support by throwing an nvidia chipset in there, too. Its no secret how they pulled it off...

I think Intel will one day create its own video card and dominate the graphics industry!!!

:)

^Oh, didn't know that! However, I am not surprized! Imagine the someday a 32nm gpu!!!

I think Intel will one day create its own video card and dominate the graphics industry!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I740

Intel DID try to make graphics card. Heck I even had one of these card back then.

However, I believe the resource that was being funneled to make video card wasn't gonna make Intel much $ so in the end they drop the standalone graphics card idea and went back to integrated ones that you see in current Intel chipsets.

Intel's Skulltrail does support SLI as has been stated in the [H] preview of it. Intel managed to get SLI support by throwing an nvidia chipset in there, too. Its no secret how they pulled it off...

bridge Nvidias MCP with ICH8? No doubt it could be done, but it would be a waste. The issue of SLI on intel systems was never one of hardware. Intel supports crossfire, and its been proven any crossfire motherboard can run two Nvidia GPUs in SLI (and vice versa).

and Intel is working on their entry-level graphics chip code named "Larabee". I don't know anything about it except for its existence. I wouldn't expect much from intels first entry on Nvidia and ATIs turf, but certainly their 2nd or 3rd crack at it autta be worth some consideration.

bridge Nvidias MCP with ICH8? No doubt it could be done, but it would be a waste. The issue of SLI on intel systems was never one of hardware. Intel supports crossfire, and its been proven any crossfire motherboard can run two Nvidia GPUs in SLI (and vice versa).

and Intel is working on their entry-level graphics chip code named "Larabee". I don't know anything about it except for its existence. I wouldn't expect much from intels first entry on Nvidia and ATIs turf, but certainly their 2nd or 3rd crack at it autta be worth some consideration.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ1OCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Skulltrail is the first and currently the only platform to support BOTH NVIDIA’s SLI technology, and ATI’s Crossfire technology.
Just prior to publishing this article NVIDIA informed us that the Skulltrail motherboard used two NVIDIA nForce 100 MCP’s and that these MCPs enable 2-Way SLI support allowing for quad-SLI between two dual-GPU cards.

It may be a waste, but Intel's doing it.

I doubt "Larabee" will be anything all that spectacular when it first comes out... but a third player in the graphics industry could be beneficial...

Back