Will Intel come out with a sleeper?

Humble_Magii

Limp Gawd
Curious has anyone ever wondered if Intel would come out with a sleeper card in the next 5 years? They own most of the market already and they have plenty of resources to do it and even enough to do it and fail.

Intel creates the best GPU out there imagine saying that? I keep thinking with Nvidia and ATI I truly wonder if they focus on Intel at all or just each other? I know I would focus on Intel but man Intel has a winner for sure if they decided to jump in :). The name the advertising the sheer chipset marketshare not to mention they do make great chipsets the best really for the home pc. They have all the puzzle pieces but I wager they just don't care because the market isn't there?

Dunno what are some thoughts on this?

I would definietly like them to form a kind of partnership with aegia and bring out some intergrated ppu solutions. I agree there needs to be a 3rd horse in the graphics race to help bring costs down for consumers even more but I don't it will happen with nvidia and ati buying any promising new company these days...

Humble_Magii said:
Intel creates the best GPU out there imagine saying that? I keep thinking with Nvidia and ATI I truly wonder if they focus on Intel at all or just each other? I know I would focus on Intel but man Intel has a winner for sure if they decided to jump in :). The name the advertising the sheer chipset marketshare not to mention they do make great chipsets the best really for the home pc. They have all the puzzle pieces but I wager they just don't care because the market isn't there?

You're really underestimating ATi and Nvidia here. Just because Intel is huge and has its own fabs and some of the best engineers in the world doesn't mean they will automatically be successful in the retail GPU market. Between themselves ATi and Nvidia have a lot of patents wrapped up and their expertise in designing GPU's is far ahead of Intel at the moment.

trinibwoy said:
You're really underestimating ATi and Nvidia here. Just because Intel is huge and has its own fabs and some of the best engineers in the world doesn't mean they will automatically be successful in the retail GPU market. Between themselves ATi and Nvidia have a lot of patents wrapped up and their expertise in designing GPU's is far ahead of Intel at the moment.
QFT.....

But I think Intel could at least have a decent shot at it. It would be pretty strange, though, seeing an Intel video card.

intel could, but that wasn't their way to entering the business. They have about 50% of the market share becuase they make integrated graphic cards.... you just get them on your mobo. intel makes money, person who buys the mobo pretty much gets a free graphics card

Obi_Kwiet said:
They need to make a decent CPU first.

QFT :p In danger of going off topic, but Conroe looks promising.

I dont see Intel trying to enter into the Add-in-board graphics market. They will stick to integrated graphics and be happy with where they are.

Humble_Magii said:
Curious has anyone ever wondered if Intel would come out with a sleeper card in the next 5 years?

LOL. That's all they've had for the last 5 years... :p

My 1st graphics card had an intel chip in it, I beleive it was called a starfighter or something. I doubt they would put out a high end card now cause I'm sure you make alot more money off integrated stuff, and I figure they probably cost less to develop too.

trinibwoy said:

I don't underestimate those companies however it would be better said to underestimate the power of the Intel name and marketing. They would more than likely have a winner regardless of specs and facts due to name and bundling.

Anyways it would be fun to see Intel, Matrox, or S3 get in the game :). I read the newer chrome is comparable to a 6600GT. Matrox had the parhelia just would like to see some more innovations or ideas.

I had a chance to talk with an Intel graphics engineer at a career fair, and he said that they were working on making integrated graphics that would compete with nVidia's low/mid range offerings. He seemed very excited by the idea, and seemed to say that large changes were on the horizon. Looks like the giant is hungry :p

That said, he seemed to say that in the first generation they were gunning for ~6600GT performance. Didn't get any idea of the release date, though. If nothing else, this could make a decent proportion of new OEM PC's semi-gameworthy once again. At best, it could cause nVidia to drop prices to more sane levels.

Naldo said:
My 1st graphics card had an intel chip in it, I beleive it was called a starfighter or something. I doubt they would put out a high end card now cause I'm sure you make alot more money off integrated stuff, and I figure they probably cost less to develop too.
Wow. Had no idea anyone actually owned one of those.

One of my previous employers, back in the day, bought BUCKETS of those to put in systems since they thought they were going to be moving into 3d design and it was "the best available at the time" (I think not, but 3dfx was an 'unknown', and everyone KNOWS Intel builds quality parts, right?)

Anyway, here ya go for a review and pics of the OMGWTFAWSUM!! Real3d Starfighter based on Intel's i740 chipset.

Sadly, my own experience with it was...less than impressive. Even at 512x384 resolution, it could not provide playable framerates in TRIBES. That's Tribes "1". The first one. Couldn't even get 20fps in THAT.

Dosnt the Intel GMA 950 count? I heard that graphics chip kicks ass.

Back