Will increasing bandwidth help Vonage VoIP (sometimes faint, echoes, fuzzy)

Badger

Gawd
Currently have Charter at 384kbps down/128 kbps up, two computers on the network both using the internet, and Vonage VoIP for the phone, all running through a Linksys RT31P2 router.

Would spending the extra $8/month it would cost to upgrade to 3MB down/256K up help the Vonage problem? Does increasing the bandwidth help VoIP?

Thank you.

EDIT: i just www.testyourvoip.com three times and got, all three times, a score of 3.2 :mad: do I need to increase the bandwidth?

For $8.00 a month I'd upgrade anyway...that's a huge speed increase for only $8.00. That and if your VoIP issues are in fact due to bandwidth you should see a difference.

Thanks, just hoping someone can give me a definitive yes (or, 90% sure) answer that increasing the bandwidth will help the connection issues, especially with multiple computer downloading and uploading.

well your doubbling your upload, that that's mainly what it runs on. So I WOULD say yes.

Badger said:
EDIT: i just www.testyourvoip.com three times and got, all three times, a score of 3.2 :mad: do I need to increase the bandwidth?

My upload is 800 and I got a 5.0 every time I checked..So I would say, go ahead and upgrade.....

Considering that g711 consumes approximately 64k plus layer 2 overhead then increasing your bandwidth will not necessarily help the issues you are having with your voice service (but you can give it a try). If Vonage supports the use of additional codecs then you could try g729 (8k plus overhead)...

Back