Will iCloud require OSX Lion?

fileid

Limp Gawd
I plan to use iCloud to store mainly school/work documents with the 5GB of storage that apple is planning to allow. I really dislike OSX Lion with the Wifi problems and generally sluggish performance even on an i7 2.93 Ghz iMac. Is the Lion requirement pretty much set in stone or can I still use OSX Snow Leopard?

I hope not...I just got a Mac Pro at work and thank God it came with Snow Leopard and not Lion. I've heard nothing but bad things about Lion's Samba stack and generally sluggish OS performance.

According to apple.com...

http://www.apple.com/icloud/what-is.html
"iCloud requires iOS 5 on iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPad, or iPad 2; a Mac computer with OS X Lion; or a PC with Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Outlook 2007 or 2010 required for accessing contacts and calendars). Some features require a Wi-Fi connection. Some features are not available in all countries. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices."

Though seems weird it would support Vista and not Snow Leopard.

Apples ways of selling their new OS more and vista to 7 wasnt a "huge" change i guess for what ever protocols they use.

Why would the latest iteration of an operating system be worse than an older version? It's not like they're rewritten 10.7.0 from scratch. They just took 10.6.7 and changed it.

Anyway, whatever, you have your answer. Lion only.

Why would the latest iteration of an operating system be worse than an older version? It's not like they're rewritten 10.7.0 from scratch. They just took 10.6.7 and changed it.

Anyway, whatever, you have your answer. Lion only.

It is worse.

Apple gutted Samba from 10.7 and wrote their own proprietary implementation, which is slow and unreliable. Lion is basically useless in any Microsoft-based office environment.

They just took 10.6.7 and changed it.

No, they didn't. 10.7 and 10.6 were developed in parallel. That's how large projects work. You branch code off and maintain it as a separate project. If Apple just changed 10.6.7, it would mean Lion took only a couple of months to develop.

It is worse.

No, it's not. Your Samba example is like saying Snow Leopard was worse than Leopard because Apple replaced Quicktime 7 with Quicktime X.

No, it's not. Your Samba example is like saying Snow Leopard was worse than Leopard because Apple replaced Quicktime 7 with Quicktime X.

Perhaps you missed the part where Samba worked flawless and Apple's implementation is a flaming pile of shit that "just doesn't work" half the time.

You guys know you can always compile Samba on your own and add it back in, right? It was just removed because Apple doesn't like GPLv3.

So which part of Samba works poorly in Lion?

Is it sharing a Mac drive with Windows PC, or accessing Windows shares on the Mac? Or both?

When you say "it doesn't work" is it like you can't access files, or does it do bad things like erase files unintentionally?

Do you think icloud is really safe to upload personal to confidential data? Who known if Steve jobs or Tim cook love to search all users files over icloud :confused:

Do you think icloud is really safe to upload personal to confidential data? Who known if Steve jobs or Tim cook love to search all users files over icloud :confused:
Do you think your hard-drive is really safe to keep personal to confidential data? Who known if some burglars love to come to your house at night and steal your hard-drive.

They're a large company that wants to move forward. If they start looking through user's files, that'll create a huge scandal and no one will buy/use their products afterwards. That's why they treat privacy seriously. Besides, no one cares what you have in your files, and if you want to make your life harder, feel free not to use iCloud. Might as well live under a rock too and don't use TV remotes.

Let me guess, it's going to run like total balls on Windows because Apple couldn't code their way out of a paper box...

Do you think your hard-drive is really safe to keep personal to confidential data? Who known if some burglars love to come to your house at night and steal your hard-drive.

They're a large company that wants to move forward. If they start looking through user's files, that'll create a huge scandal and no one will buy/use their products afterwards. That's why they treat privacy seriously. Besides, no one cares what you have in your files, and if you want to make your life harder, feel free not to use iCloud. Might as well live under a rock too and don't use TV remotes.

Just to let you know that I'm not against the idea for using icloud - but i'm just saying most people do bend/break the rules or quick peek if you know what i means...

for your information - i do not keep any personal or confidential data in my hard-drive mostly they are stored in 3 set of usb HD in different locations in case of failure....

Back