• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will i really need new powersupply??

allygash

n00b
Joined
Aug 11, 2004
Messages
26
I'm gonna get a 6800ultra 4 my rig, but I only have the Antec 350w power supply that came with my Antec sonata case. Will this be sufficient to run the new card properely? or do I have to get new pc...

Thx in advance.

P3.0 875 mobo, 1gb ddr, 2*36gb raptors(raid 0), 1*wd 120gb hd, 1* sony 700a dvd burner, ati9800pro. :)
 
Same question here... I have a cheap "i-dream Q4" case with a no-name 350W power supply. Everything seems to work fine and I've been gaming on it quite a few times without issues so I guess the answer for me is "no, you don't need a new power supply".
 
The fact that it's a Antec is good thing but 350w is on the low end for an ultra. Should be fine as long as you don't have a lot of other power hungry components.
 
With a high-speed P4 and three hard drives? I wouldn't push it.

I picked up an Antec TruePower 430, since I have a pretty power-hungry system (A64, 6800GT). The old Antec 300W I had in there worked, but I wanted something with more headroom, and my voltages were a little low. You might want something more like a TruePower 480, with that video card.
 
i ran the p4 system in my sig of the same antec 350W. i think it would run, but it would be cutting it close. id rather be safe than sorry and but a more powerfull PS, something brand name over 400W
 
I had a 300W Fortron and upgraded to an OCZ PowerStream 520W for the hell of it. I have an A64 3200+, mobo, a gig of PC4200, two HDDs, CDRW, DVD-RW, three 120mm fans, two 80mm fans, floppy, 6800GT and an Audigy 2. My 6800 GT runs the same on both. I now have a pretty damn good 300W PSU in the closet :)

A 350W Antec will be fine. Just buy a cheap multimeter and test your rails under load.
 
350w is fine if you are not running a shit load of things in your rig.
 
allygash said:
I'm gonna get a 6800ultra 4 my rig, but I only have the Antec 350w power supply that came with my Antec sonata case. Will this be sufficient to run the new card properely? or do I have to get new pc...

Thx in advance.

P3.0 875 mobo, 1gb ddr, 2*36gb raptors(raid 0), 1*wd 120gb hd, 1* sony 700a dvd burner, ati9800pro. :)

You shouldn't have any problems with that Antec 350w i dont think. Antec makes very high quality PSU's.

I would save your money and get a 6800GT though. It will save you $100 or more probably and the 6800GT supposedly has tighter timings on its RAM so even though a 6800U will overclock a little higher, a 6800GT will be faster clock for clock.

Keon said:
Same question here... I have a cheap "i-dream Q4" case with a no-name 350W power supply. Everything seems to work fine and I've been gaming on it quite a few times without issues so I guess the answer for me is "no, you don't need a new power supply".

You need to upgrade the PSU. I dont think your generic will handle the 12v pull of a 6800U or 6800GT. You definitely dont want a cheap PSU in your system when you messing with expensive hardware because over- and undervoltage can lead to damaged hardware. The PSU is the leading cause for hardware failure.

I would also suggest you go with the 6800GT instead of the Ultra.
 
How many amps are on the +12V rail?


Post this in the Power Supplies forum; you'll probably get some *Excellent* advice.


Wattage sems to be less important than amps, I've learned.
 
I think the power supply issue has been overkilled. I have a ton of crap in my computer :

-Cheapo 100/10 Mbit Netowrk card
-U.S. Robitics 56k V. Everything Modem
-SB Audigy Platinum with a break out box in the front that uses a 12v rail (includes firewire and a lot of other shit I dont' use lol)
-48xCD RW Drive
-12xDVD ROM
-120 GB 7200rpm IBM HD
-1024 MB RAM
-AthlonXP 2100+
-Asus K7V333 mobo
-onboard sound
-onboard USB
-Sony 3.5 floppy drive
-XFX GeForce 6800 GT

I run all this on a 300W power supply and I have no problems. Ever since I got my 6800 GT my system has never locked up. 100% stability in games and everything. I even heard someone was running a 6800 GT on a 150W power supply, but that is really pushing it lol.
 
Twinkie said:
Wattage sems to be less important than amps, I've learned.

Watts = Volts x Amps

In a sense, amps and watts are eqauls.

If you have 20A on the 12v line that translates to 240w.

240w for the 12v line or 20A for 12v line, it doesn't really matter.

If you have more watts then you naturally have to have more amps.
 
burningrave101 said:
Watts = Volts x Amps

In a sense, amps and watts are eqauls.

If you have 20A on the 12v line that translates to 240w.

240w for the 12v line or 20A for 12v line, it doesn't really matter.

If you have more watts then you naturally have to have more amps.

Yeah... until your voltage starts to drop off.
 
Back
Top