Will I notice a difference between...

pandora's box

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
4,961
My current hard drives are: western digital 120gb ata 100 7200rpm 8mb cache (1200JB). And a western digital 60gb ata 100 7200rpm 2mb cache (wd600bb)

I just saw this compusa deal on a hitachi deskstar 7k250 160GB

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=314482&pfp=9405sale

was wondering if im going to notice a difference between the current drives i have and the hitachi. also was considering this drive as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145091

but if i got that drive i wouldnt be able to get two, would have to make the 120gb a slave.

What i do on my comp:

Browse internet, play video games, listen to music. occasionally I record videos in fraps but not very often.

My setup:

AMD ATHLON XP 2700+
ASUS A7N8X DELUXE (SUPPORTS SATA 150)
1024MB PC3200 RAM
X800 PRO
AUDIGY 2ZS
 
As long as you stay with the 8mb buffer you should be all set, that's the only thing you'll notice preformance wise.
 
If your WD drvies are the older silver topped models, you will notice a pretty large performance boost by moving to the Hitachi drive. Additionally, since older silver topped WD drives lack Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) motors, the Hitachi drive will run much cooler and quieter, while consuming less power.
 
Silver topped drives? Are the new ones another color?

:( I think my WDs are silver topped and if so :D time to get some 250gb segates or hitachis...Mine are rather loud so I guess it might not be fluid bearings
 
awdark said:
Silver topped drives? Are the new ones another color?

:( I think my WDs are silver topped and if so :D time to get some 250gb segates or hitachis...Mine are rather loud so I guess it might not be fluid bearings
Correct, you want black topped Caviars, as they have FDB motors. They run significantly cooler, quieter, and have updated firmware/zoning for better performance.

EDIT: If your Caviar does not look like the below, then you want newer drives.
WD2500JD-00HBB0_top.jpg
 
Oh thanks for the pic.. >_< my drives must be using ball bearings... hence the constant wrrring sound in contrast to the virtual silence of my newest hdd.
 
DougLite said:
Correct, you want black topped Caviars, as they have FDB motors. They run significantly cooler, quieter, and have updated firmware/zoning for better performance.

EDIT: If your Caviar does not look like the below, then you want newer drives.
WD2500JD-00HBB0_top.jpg


yeap mine are the silver topped ones! time for new drives :D
 
well i grabbed one hitachi 7k250 PATA 160GB hard drive from compusa for $37.49 after 90MIR (30 compusa, 60 hitachi).

i will just make the 120GB western digital the data drive, dont really need top performance there.

about to install now...
 
Back
Top