Will I ever switch to LCD?

mrkazador

Limp Gawd
I've been using this Samsung 19" CRT for 5-6 years now and want an lcd, problem is I'm very picky about blacklight bleed. I don't want to play the blacklight bleed lottery, buy/return a monitor a hundred times till I get the perfect one.

Is there an lcd that doesn't have blacklight bleed and nice blacks? I also play pc games so it must not have high input lag.

I was thinking about the catleaps but that is one big lottery I don't want to play...

When the radiation out of the CRT kills enough cells of yours, you will care less about back light bleed and switch.

After using NEC and Trinitron CRTs I used to be like you and bought about 7 LCDs vainly looking for that mythical LCD that would meet all my standards. But unfortunately LCDs are all about compromises. You'll get pixel perfect sharpness but you'll have to yield quality elsewhere wether it be blacks, color, or motion resolution, not to mention viewing angle issues.

I've yet to see an LCD that has blacks that satisfy me, there's always that light sheen look when viewing an image with a lot of blacks, comes with the territory of technology where the pixels can't emit their own light. Plus you're always risking backlight bleeding.

No LCD has completely made me happy but I've settled on an NEC IPS panel for color quality and a Samsung 120Hz TN panel for gaming.

When the radiation out of the CRT kills enough cells of yours, you will care less about back light bleed and switch.

LOL.

It might take some time if you're a hardcore CRT enthusiast, but after a while you forget about backlight bleeding, and the input lag/pixel response time has got a lot better on modern LCDs.

If you buy an IPS monitor you might get an "IPS glow" which looks similar to backlight bleeding but goes away if you sit far away enough.

Doesn't OLED have burn-in issues. Will be nice to have for an HDTV though.

Doesn't OLED have burn-in issues. Will be nice to have for an HDTV though.

No burn-in with OLED. Uneven wear-out is possible with RGB OLED, but WOLED shouldn't have this issue. Keep an eye out for LG and Samsung's OLED HDTVs later this year. You can bet people will use them for displays with their PCs. Should give some interesting details about how this technology is going to work as an LCD replacement.

People that say LCD looks bad are reading too much and not going out and actually looking at the displays.

It's only been a couple years since LCDs have been acceptable to me. I'm sitting in front of a Samsung B2230 right now. after adjusting the monitor controls the best I could I was able to adjust further with the PC software controls. I don't do any gaming on it and find it to be good in most every aspect. Go look at them in the stores, spend some quality with them before deciding.

When my LCD monitor died and I sent it off to Acer to fix it, I dug out my old 19" CRT and took the opportunity to play Thief 1, 2, and Doom 3.

All those games are dark, and as such all those games are a washed out gray mess on every LCD panel I've ever seen. I can't stand seeming them like that.. it's just so wrong.

When my LCD monitor died and I sent it off to Acer to fix it, I dug out my old 19" CRT and took the opportunity to play Thief 1, 2, and Doom 3.

All those games are dark, and as such all those games are a washed out gray mess on every LCD panel I've ever seen. I can't stand seeming them like that.. it's just so wrong.
The first thing I'm going to do when I get an OLED monitor is play Amnesia on it. LCDs not being able to handle blacks optimally really lessens the experience in that game.

Every light source has some kind of radiation. So what kind of radiation we are talking about when saying "radiation on CRT's are so bad" or "When the radiation out of the CRT kills enough cells of yours..."? How about CCFL bulbs?

I think they're being silly. At least I hope so, otherwise I have some RadAway I'd like to sell them.

G8lt5.png

18f1wj.gif

"CRT radiation is bad, kids!"

You should move into the Australian outback to avoid being a hypocrite, as that is the last thing you should worry about.

WOrried about blacklight bleed? LOL My ASUS has none of that but it burns my face if it's not calibrated right and positioned far enough away or has a cheap graphcis card to feed it.

I use a CRT for everything basically except games I even have a backup CRT the problem with CRT is the ammount of real estate you have on your screen and the desk.

Last edited:
I believe my current Dell 2209WA is about the best overall IPS LCD made, unless jumping to a $1000 NEC. I was (am) a CRT snob as well.

If you can still find one, I recommend it.

LOL 90% of the LCD's look better than CRT's are you on drugs?
Can you explain me way i send 3 LCD's back and still are on my old CRT? Dam i must have some strange eyes.

Last edited:
OCD? Cheap LCDs? To me CRT is fuzzy, darker darks (not even noticeable any more) but less pop even with calibrated accurate colors. Geometry issues, higher resolutions hurt my eyes even at high refresh rates.

Geometry issues were the biggest annoyance about CRTs along with the fact they were big, heavy, and text was fuzzy.

Don't see any problem like i did on the 3 LCD's i had my CRT is also not a walmart CRT but a 400€ CRT with a flat display.

People complain about non existant issues. 90% of the LCDs I've seen in the last 5 years look WAY better than CRT.

Depends on what your requirements are. I'm a graphics artist in addition to a programmer and there's no LCD out there which would make me happier than my current 20" Iiyama CRTs.

TN panels have horrible colour accuracy and vertical gamma shift, *VA has the bad horizontal gamma shift and worst lag, IPS has poorer blacks than *VA, slower refresh than TN and IPS glow.

In addition with the huge pixels of LCDs I find that reading text on good CRTs like mine is much more relaxing on my eyes than reading them on any LCD I have encountered.

My market segment is the €1,000+ (semi-)pro display market as well and even there I can't find anything halfway decent. I'm waiting for OLED displays.

I had all of the good ones... FW900, G500, etc.

After you get used to text on an LCD, doing any kind of productivity work on a CRT is terrible.

Buy a TV for movies/gaming if backlights bother you that much. Plasma if you're that worried about black levels.

If you're still gaming or doing anything really on a 19" CRT you're missing out on a lot. I sort of remember what my 21" CRT was like and I think I'd give up on life and grow a crazy beard/go live in the woods if I had to go back to using a monitor like that again.

To the guy above: Video is output as pixels. Pixels are not any more "huge" on LCDs than CRTs. CRTs smooth them by scanning to resolve them and they're stacked oddly with phosphors. That's why high end CRT projectors look warm but not even remotely accurate compared to DLP. The LCD reproduction of the picture is by definition more accurate because it can be as close to pixel perfect while a CRT does not resolve individual pixels the same way nor can it ever.

I'm waiting for OLED displays.
+ me too. Collecting money already. As they will be priiiiceeeee.... Strictly speaking - they will cost a lot. Meanwhile I got some hp zr2740w to last me til the first price drop on oleds :eek:

Is there an lcd that doesn't have blacklight bleed and nice blacks? I also play pc games so it must not have high input lag.
Then i recommend not buying a LCD because modern monitors still suffer horribly from those 2 problems.

I came to the realization years ago that there is no LCD I can buy right now that will truly satisfy me. That is, blacks that are straight up absent of light, good colors, and low input lag.

If I spent a lot of money on a display with really nice colors, I'll just be depressed if the blacks aren't perfect or if there is significant input lag.

Until I can buy one of those, I will keep chugging away with cheap 20"-24" TN LCD monitors. I can live with not the best colors and the other cons of a TN panel, but input lag? Not a chance in hell.

I have been looking at getting an LCD for several years now and have used them at work for quite some time. At home I am currently using a Sony G520 and two Dell branded versions of the G520. I have been eyeing the latest offerings from both Dell and HP in the 24" 1920x1200 arena, but now that these Korean 27" beasts have shown up I think I may take the plunge next month and buy one.

I moved from a CRT to an Eizo FS2331 a while ago. It has zero input lag and adequate blacks. Backlight bleed is negligible. I just played Alan Wake and it looked great. The biggest problem with this monitor is ghosting. It's not noticeable always, but with some color transitions it's just awful. But I can live with that and the contrast/gamma shift. To me those are smaller defects than the horrible blacks and glow of IPS panels. TN monitors are a joke, I didn't even consider. Anyway, I'm happy I moved on, and I'm never going back to a CRT.

Try testing out some S-PVA panels such as 2408WFP. They're usually known for having deep black level that's comparable to CRT's. If you're unhappy with that, try Plasma panels. :D

with more people getting rid of CRT's look for a nice 24-30" , but you'll need a massive desk to hold the weight. If you dont want LED/LCD then go bigger!! :D

Video is output as pixels. Pixels are not any more "huge" on LCDs than CRTs.

Look at dot-pitch numbers for a 20" CRT with 1600x1200 resolution and compare with those for a 26" 1920x1080 LCD. Yeah.

Text on an LCD is so incredibly blocky and hard to read for a long time. The sub-pixel rendering used for a number of years now helps, but can't solve all of the issues. It doesn't solve the polarized light issues and flicker of many CCFL and LED-based backlights. LCDs wreak havoc on my eyes.

Back