Will I burn my chip up?

Presto88

Limp Gawd
I got all of my requisite parts for a full PC in today minus the fan/heatsink for my AMD 64 3000 Winchester and I'm ACHING to boot it up my question is that will my chip burn up if I dont have the heatsink on it even if I'm just getting everything up and running?

My heatsink will be in about 3-7 days and thats just too long

thanks

No no no no no, do NOT run you're CPU without a heatsink, very BAD idea, it will fry in seconds. Just wait for the heatsink.

Ok, NEVER EVER run w/out a HSF. You will fry your CPU if you do. If you remember back in the days the Thunderbird and Duron cores? I remember reading somewhere that one of them burnt up in a few seconds of being turned on without a HSF on it...think of the 64's! Its easy to say to wait the few days and get it.

this is what will happen:

power on
wait 5 seconds
automatic power off
hot smell.

the cpu should still work, as a64's have temp protection, but still.. just don't even bother trying ;)

CUP rule of thumb #1

Once you let the smoke out it is damn hard to get it back in. :rolleyes: :p

Don't do it.

Or, if you do it take lots of pictures. If you could get one of you crying after you realized that you ruined your chip because you couldn't be patient for a few days, that would be great.

I'd laugh my ass off if you did this. You'd be dumber than that guy who cut pins off his 7800 GTX to make it fit in an AGP slot. (Fake I know, but still.)

The CPU will jump to insane temperatures in a matter of a second before it shuts off. Most CPUs have thermal protection meaning that they will shut off after XX C. But even this won't help you too much.

I have successfully booted up a Athlon FX55 with no heatsink for about 15 seconds, it was operational. I saw the temps spark up in the Bios before it shut it self down. I DO NOT RECOMEND THIS lol. the max you will get it running for before it the motherboard protection kicks in is probly around 15-20 secs

So even if u try to configure you may not have the time to do so lol. :)

Zoio said:
I have successfully booted up a Athlon FX55 with no heatsink for about 15 seconds, it was operational. I saw the temps spark up in the Bios before it shut it self down. I DO NOT RECOMEND THIS lol. the max you will get it running for before it the motherboard protection kicks in is probly around 15-20 secs

Oh for the love of GOD, Don't do this!

Actually the chance of frying it is actually not as high as most think, but it will overheat and shut off in a matter of ~10 seconds. Either way, don't take the chance.

It wont auto shut off till at least 60C(usually 75C) which is VERY hot, and would def leave some impact on lifespan

Zoio said:

How could you do someting like that with a 1000$ CPU? I'm hopeing to upgrade to a 6800GT? Could I have some of your "old" hardware.

Just put an icepack on it :)

I tihnk somone posted pics with somone doign something like that like a few months ago...

Try it and find out if the thermal protection turns the comp off before the chip fry's or not.

I mean turn the multi/fsb WAY DOWN with the heatsink ON, than remove the heatsink and slowly bring up the clock :p

theres only one way to find out......

OK DO NOT TURN ON YOUR COMPUTER WITHOUT AN HSF PLEASE!! /CAPS lock

but if you post the video :)

If anyone wants to find out how fast they can run their expensive processor w/o a heatsink, just send it on over to me and I'll test it out for you :p

just another question probably a stupid one, so dont flame me because you're angry at your mom because she made you clean your room.....could I possibly rig my P4 478 pin heatsink and fan to work on this one?

I dont think I would do that but I'm just curious....

Nope. You'd have to completely change the retention mechanisms, as they are different between the sockets.

Hey, we're not flaming! We're just making sure you don't fry your cpu, as that would make you, and us, very sad. Its just more fun to write "OH DEAR GOD NO!" than "oh, that would probably not work very well. You might have problems." :)

On a related note, some heatsinks come with retention mechanisms for different sockets. If it is a non-standard heatsink (meaning you bought it separately), I'd give you a 1 in 10 chance it might have come with some rigging to use it on your processor. Obviously, check the manual first, and I'd also vote against 'ghetto-rigging' it, as the likelihood that it will fall off/not be seated correctly is extremely high.

Or, if you do it take lots of pictures. If you could get one of you crying after you realized that you ruined your chip because you couldn't be patient for a few days, that would be great.

I second this, do it and take pictures as a reminder for all of us to never ever ever ever do it. And the one of you crying is obligatory.

insanarchist said:
Hey, we're not flaming! We're just making sure you don't fry your cpu, as that would make you, and us, very sad. .

Oh I know I was just making a funny, a lot of kids on forums are just angry at their parents for something like cleaning up their room or mowing the lawn.

As for the heatsink, nope just your standard came with the whole computer she-bang so that looks like thats out, time for the waiting game.......

thanks for the info

Unknown-One said:
Somone should see how slow these chips need to run to go without a heatsink :D

Already did that at toms hardware with a P4.

Someone here at the hard posted something about their computer running really slow, and it ended up being the heatsink was loose (or off) and it was throttling the cpu way down). not sure where the thread was, and even WITH all the time in the word, I could never find it here.

Well, I would rather see an AMD A64 used in the test, as they run just a touch cooler than P$'s. [/Sarcasm]

Nah, you can turn in on. In the meantime, I'd just set a full glass of ice water on top of the chip. You'll need to add ice from time to time, and some water may splash, so just drape some paper towels over the rest of the motherboard. You're good to go buddy ;)

...and I accept no responsibility for if you listen to stupid stupid me rather than the majority of the people here...

If you really can't wait the 3-7 days, just go to your local store and buy a cheapy one, but don't overclock :)

this one is almost as bad as the guy who cut off the heat spreader on his fx55 i think it was.

and wondered why it didn't work.

ehh, at least he didn't actually do it.

Back