• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Will DOOM 3 Work on my G Force 2?

Your card doesn't meet the minimum specs, so if it does run, it probably won't run well. Wait until it actually comes out to ask this kind of thing, because at this point it's all speculation.

Once the game comes out, you will be able to browse through hundreds of threads with titles just like this one. you can probably pick up some useful info then.
 
Well, a GF4 mx440 is a gf2 core, so if it's a faster GF2, it might. I'm guessing the reason iD didn't give any mention of the gf2 is there were so many variations of it. If I remember right, the pro, gts and ultra's were all faster than the gf4mx460.
 
yes doom3 will run on a gf2
me and my friend tested it with a beta
it was a MSI GF2
it ran but only at 800x600 with alot of things off
BUT IT WILL RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
The problem is not with the speed of the card, but rather with it's instruction capability. As mentioned in a couple previous replies, the GF4 "MX" is basically just a GF2 core. BUT, it has added technology that allow a few more instructions to be processed ( at all, and in fewer clock cycles).....

You should wait until Doom 3 comes out and try it.... a GeForce 2 Ultra is probably way faster than any GeForce 4 "MX" - but it lacks some features (probably DX 8.0 and 9.0 support) - so you'll be missing out on a lot of the effects that are associated with those technologies.
 
jhtevans said:
The problem is not with the speed of the card, but rather with it's instruction capability. As mentioned in a couple previous replies, the GF4 "MX" is basically just a GF2 core. BUT, it has added technology that allow a few more instructions to be processed ( at all, and in fewer clock cycles).....

You should wait until Doom 3 comes out and try it.... a GeForce 2 Ultra is probably way faster than any GeForce 4 "MX" - but it lacks some features (probably DX 8.0 and 9.0 support) - so you'll be missing out on a lot of the effects that are associated with those technologies.
The Geforce4MX is not hardware compliant with DX 8.0 and 9.0, but it is compatible, just as the original Vanta is.
 
kcthebrewer said:
The Geforce4MX is not hardware compliant with DX 8.0 and 9.0, but it is compatible, just as the original Vanta is.

Thanks for the correction - that's what I meant... you get the picture - bottom line is that the game will probably play but you'll be missing out on several, if not most of the graphical goodies. I suspect Carmack set the minimum specs as the GF4 because it is the lowest series of Nvidia cards that supports all of the effects that really make the gaming experience - not simply because of the speed of the card (as I said before, most of the GF2 and GF3 cards are actually faster, better cards than the GF4 "MX)

On a side note, I think it's really interesting (and extremely cool) that the entire spectrum of cards in this new generation are basically better than all previous generations. At this point, the lowest priced Nvidia and ATI card from the 6800 and x800 lines outperform the highest priced card from the previous generations.

This could be owed to the fact that no "mainstream" parts have been released yet, but the launch of this series took place long enough ago that they should be here by now if they're indeed coming at all....
 
go to ebay , i m selling my PNY FX 5900 128 for $100, if u can affoard it. 5112487635
 
every effect except for the heat waves will show up on a gf1 class card or newer, it is simply for performance reasons that the cutoff is at the geforce 4 mx level (geforce 3 is faster than a 4 mx btw)
 
I have a nicely OCed GF2 Ultra that I'd love to play Doom 3 on. Twas a good card in it's time.
 
Like the others stated it will probably run but will look like shit doing it. I ran Far Cry (demos) before I actually bought it on an old Geforce 2 MX400 32mb card. The minimum specs listed for Far Cry was a 64mb card so I was supprised that it even let me install it and run it. Looked like shit but got me hooked on the game. I bought my current 9600XT used and bought Far Cry after that and the difference was amazing to say the least.
Moral of the story is that even if your card will run Doom 3 it won't be a pretty sight because you will have to turn all the graphics and details down to the minimum just to get it to play. If your willing to spend $50 for Doom 3 then spend at least $100 to get a decent used card to play it on.
 
MCRAYGSX said:
go to ebay , i m selling my PNY FX 5900 128 for $100, if u can affoard it. 5112487635

Will you take $100 for it and end the auction early? ;)
If so PM me.
 
The game will run on just about every card that supports OpenGL 1.5
This game has nothing to do with directX of anykind, it will run on a TNT2. mind you, it will be unplayable, but should run.
 
If that ultra has 64 MB like I Think it does, then I would bet my 9800 pro that it would work hahaha.... that's how crap the MX series is really
 
Hope it runs on my GF4. I still have a GF2 ultra and that 5500 3dfx. I wonder how that old 3dfx card would run. Seems like a good idea to wait for PCI-X to do an upgrade.
 
D3 sounds like it'll run on my Ti4200, so it should run on your 4600. Of course, we'll be sitting at medium settings at 800x600 (although we might get 1024x768), but it should still be very playable.
 
^1x said:
I wonder how that old 3dfx card would run.
quite simply, it wouldn't, the only real feature requirements of note that the doom3 engine has is hardware T&L, which never was added to 3dfx's line of GPUs and was part of the reason that Nvidia outperformed them and drove them out of business.
 
Back
Top