Will Dell XP CD and product key work on non-Dell?

belfert

Limp Gawd
My Dell came with XP MCE 2005. I reformatted with an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro that has a seperate legal product key.

Can I now use the Dell product key with a non-Dell system or will I am be unable to activate because I already booted up the Dell with the MCE product key?

Another ?: Will a XP MCE key work with XP home?

Brian Elfert

belfert said:
My Dell came with XP MCE 2005. I reformatted with an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro that has a seperate legal product key.

Can I now use the Dell product key with a non-Dell system or will I am be unable to activate because I already booted up the Dell with the MCE product key?

Another ?: Will a XP MCE key work with XP home?

Brian Elfert

Most likely you will be prompted to call MS for activation, Some time ago MS flagged all large vendor OEM keys and now require a phone call for activation.

MCE Key will not work with XP Home.

Not to Hijack the thread but I have a upgrade version of Xp and can buy a Dell full version wSP2.
Will the CD Key from the upgrade work on the Dell copy?
I'm not a computer tech of anykind

Jeeprs69 said:
Not to Hijack the thread but I have a upgrade version of Xp and can buy a Dell full version wSP2.
Will the CD Key from the upgrade work on the Dell copy?
I'm not a computer tech of anykind

Most likeley no.. However the only difference betweem xp home upgrade and the full version is the fact that the install program will ask you to put in a winme/98/2000/ disk for a few seconds.. You can use nlite or google the directions to slipstream sp2 onto your home upgrade disk without too much difficulty..

GORANKAR said:
Most likeley no.. However the only difference betweem xp home upgrade and the full version is the fact that the install program will ask you to put in a winme/98/2000/ disk for a few seconds.. You can use nlite or google the directions to slipstream sp2 onto your home upgrade disk without too much difficulty..
I'm on dialup so downloading BIG stuff takes ALLDAY! Maybe I can get one from someone here?????????/

Jeeprs69 said:
I'm on dialup so downloading BIG stuff takes ALLDAY! Maybe I can get one from someone here?????????/

At you/your kids school or perhaps even local library you can download sp2 and burn it to a disk.. A freind with cable/dsl would also work.. I used a computer at work to download and burn large files to cd before cable internet became available(be certain your employer approves of this).. Internet cafe's might be another option..

Wow the full IT version of SP2 is 10+ hours on dialup!
Guess I'm going to a friend's house with DSL- anyone know how long it takes on DSL?

Depends on the bandwith of the DSL connection.

you have 256 kbps, 512 kbps, 1 MB, 2 MB, etc....

Any OEM Windows license sold with a PC is bound to that PC forever. It very well may be able to use it on another computer but its not legal in Microsoft's eyes. Just an FYI if anyone cares.

MS licensing sucks.

Back