Will be 1000W be enough?

Creepin_D

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm currently looking at replacing my dying PSU. Aside from the system that is in my sig, I will be running 11 120mm fans and two pumps. Will a 1000W PSU be enough, or should I look at getting a more powerful psu?

You will notice in my sig that I already have a 1000W psu, which did power my system. But I do not want to be at the limit of a 1000W psu.

I have the Antec HCP-1000 Platinum in mind and or the Evga Supernova 1300G2, which seems to be in low supply.

*edit*: Screwed up my title, and I dunno how to edit it.

Last edited:
1000w is more than enough. A pair of 290s should be around 550w. Not sure about the 2600k @ 4.5GHz/1.3v, but I'd guess around 150w. That's a lot of fans, but they should be less than 10w each at full-tilt, so 120w there.. then whatever your pumps use -- which is hopefully less than 180w for the pair :) I don't think the 1000w would be limiting, but your peak draw under a synthetic load is probably close-ish to 1000w. How much headroom over a peak synthetic load do you need to feel comfortable? Do you often run your system with unrealistic loads?

You can probably get away with a good 750 or a 850watt PSU and still have plenty to spare.

2600k, 2 x 290X... A good 850W PSU can handle your rig with plenty of headroom to spare even with 11 fans and 2 pumps.

Thanks for info.....one last thing. The two power supplies that I mentioned above are about the same price. I did some research and both PSU's get great reviews.

The only differences I can find aside from the wattage is the EVGA has one 12V rail plus a 10 year warranty, while the Antec has four 12V rails and a 7 year warranty. To be honest, I have no idea what that means hahahaha

Thoughts one which one I should go for?

What's your budget, precisely?
You might consider stepping down to 850W and getting a better quality unit. That being said I'm not familiar with the EVGA / Antec 1000+W units.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Considering 290s can draw up to 300w I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with an 850w PSU. That's over 600w with an overclock just for the GPUs. Case fans at full tilt can use about 10w, there's another 110w. We're already >= 710w without the CPU, motherboard, or pumps. I'm sure a 2600k can use 100w+ at 4.5GHz. That being said, under normal (gaming) use you'd certainly be a good deal below 850w.

I'd personally feel comfortable with a 1000w PSU.. and I'd use my X850 if I was short on cash, but I'd definitely want something beefier so I had some headroom. Caps degrade over time, so if you want to build a system that can draw up to 900w on synthetics AND run for years you may want something >=1200w.

There's no easy answer to 'what PSU should I get?' .. Do you plan on Folding? Is your only high-load application gaming? What kind of power use do you see now with a Kill-A-Watt? How much headroom would you like? How long does it have to last? Does it have to support that much load in 5 years?

I use my system for gamming only, and only a few hours a day. I have been looking around, and I think I have settled on the XFX 1250.....it is only $30 more than the 1000W, and seems to get high praise from all the review sites I have looked at.

I did not realize the vast selection of PSU's that are available.

Thanks for the help :)

My kill a watt shows 850 from wall with 2-290 water cooled 4x4gb ram @1860. And a fx-8120
3-ssd/hdd and a dvd drive, about 10 fans.

Hope this helps.

Considering 290s can draw up to 300w I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with an 850w PSU. That's over 600w with an overclock just for the GPUs. Case fans at full tilt can use about 10w, there's another 110w. We're already >= 710w without the CPU, motherboard, or pumps. I'm sure a 2600k can use 100w+ at 4.5GHz. That being said, under normal (gaming) use you'd certainly be a good deal below 850w.

I'd personally feel comfortable with a 1000w PSU.. and I'd use my X850 if I was short on cash, but I'd definitely want something beefier so I had some headroom. Caps degrade over time, so if you want to build a system that can draw up to 900w on synthetics AND run for years you may want something >=1200w.

There's no easy answer to 'what PSU should I get?' .. Do you plan on Folding? Is your only high-load application gaming? What kind of power use do you see now with a Kill-A-Watt? How much headroom would you like? How long does it have to last? Does it have to support that much load in 5 years?

You'd be seeing a bit more than half of 300watts for the second GPU under load in Crossfire.

Another thing is that is under 100% LOAD conditions, no game is going to put 100% load on OP's overclocked CPU and GPU all at once.

You'd be seeing a bit more than half of 300watts for the second GPU under load in Crossfire.

Another thing is that is under 100% LOAD conditions, no game is going to put 100% load on OP's overclocked CPU and GPU all at once.

Horseshit, you can pull 300w from both cards.

My trifire + 3570k system only pull 1000 watts from the wall. Taking PSU power efficiency into account the power supply is supplying the system with about 900 watts.

I have a similar question, partially because I don't know how multirail psus work. I'm looking to power a 280x along with 2 6950 2gb cards, they will not be crossfired, the 6959s. I can't remember my CPU and mobo they're older lol

Would a 1000w be sufficient? It's a multirail 2x 20a and 2x 30a. I'm really concerned the new psu I just got won't be able to power all 3 cards and the rest of he the machine, CPU mobo and 1 5400hdd. I thought the 6950 pulled 200 w at load but now I see things saying 300 almost .

Please help I don't know if my psu will do it or if i should return it

Horseshit, you can pull 300w from both cards.

Dual 290's (not X) for general gaming? I'm not denying it can't pull out 300watts per card as I'm using my friends rig as a reference which is using almost the identical setup completely watercooled using EK stuff on a 2500k @ 4.9 and 2 290's for gaming and mild bitcoin mining, all on a Seasonic X-850. If both cards are pulling 300 watt or more plus the other crap he has including USB peripherals connected I don't think his 850 would be enough.

2 290's on a 430w PSU is crazy how hot is that PSU getting? Surprised it's not popping a fuse in the PSU or something.

If he is using it to the cards only and they are not over clock i see it happen. Eg. He has his mobo and two cards in one psu. And this two cards in another.

Its risky but it can happen

If he is using it to the cards only and they are not over clock i see it happen. Eg. He has his mobo and two cards in one psu. And this two cards in another.

Its risky but it can happen

Only slightly better if the PSU is only powering only the cards but it still has to be operating at peak all the time which can't be good for it in the long term.

Only slightly better if the PSU is only powering only the cards but it still has to be operating at peak all the time which can't be good for it in the long term.

Ohh 100% agree plus the sound of that fan over 100% load is not fun

Back