will Analog be around in 5 years?

Nakamori

Gawd
seeing that there aren't too many DVI 15' lcd's around yet, will Analog be around when I graduate from college? Just checking to see if it will have any resale value.

I think i got it All CRT's still use analog, and since crts arent going anywhere for a while I guess i answered my own question :)

are you sure CRT's aren't going anywhere? they're pretty hard to find as it is...unfortunately.

As long as a 300$ 17' LCD can't match the visual quality of a 225$ 19' CRT, and as long as an LCD looks bad in any resolution but its recommended one, the CRT will be around.

Yeah, when they make LCDs that can work in any resolution, cost as much as CRTs do right now, and have refresh delays in the 1-3 ms range, they will replace CRTs.

I hate to break it you all, but marketing trumps any such concerns when it comes to LCDs vs CRTs. In 5 years, I can bet majority of CRTs will be limited to the graphics professional market. Even many among them are moving towards high-end LCD's.

These days everyone wants LCD's because they look cooler and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference in color fidelity between a regular CRT and LCD.

One native resolution and slow resposne time is only a problem for gamers and not a big concern for many computer users.

Nakamori said:
seeing that there aren't too many DVI 15' lcd's around yet, will Analog be around when I graduate from college? Just checking to see if it will have any resale value.

My 15" sony LCD has DVI and I've been using it for over 3 years now...

Slider19 said:
I hate to break it you all, but marketing trumps any such concerns when it comes to LCDs vs CRTs. In 5 years, I can bet majority of CRTs will be limited to the graphics professional market. Even many among them are moving towards high-end LCD's.

These days everyone wants LCD's because they look cooler and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference in color fidelity between a regular CRT and LCD.

One native resolution and slow resposne time is only a problem for gamers and not a big concern for many computer users.

I spend a considerable amount of time playing games on my LCD (viewsonic VG191) and the response time is not really and issue. I can't tell the difference between my LCD and a friends CRT. oh yeah, if you're going to use a LCD use a digital interface, its soo much better than analog. (yes, you actually see the difference)

Slider19 said:

QFT buddy. that's what i'm saying.

the thing i don't understand, is why people are flocking to LCD monitors even though they are completely outperformed by CRTs currently. it seems like soooo many people have issues with LCDs that they aren't even worth it. look here in the forum. every other thread is some sort of issue with a dell (or other, but mostly dell) LCD screen "help, pixel stuck in 2005pfw!!!", "crap, 2405 way too bright!!!", "why is my dell LCD humming when it's on?!?!?!?"

ugh, stick with a nice CRT and you will have great picture without all the hassles. i would be infinitely pissed if i had to send a monitor back 5 times just to get one that doesn't have stuck pixels, AND i would be loathe to be subject to some "return policy" that says i have to put up with stuck pixels if there are any less than eight! eight! can you imagine using an LCD with eight pixels stuck in red?! ahhh!

phoderpants said:
the thing i don't understand, is why people are flocking to LCD monitors even though they are completely outperformed by CRTs currently. it seems like soooo many people have issues with LCDs that they aren't even worth it. look here in the forum. every other thread is some sort of issue with a dell (or other, but mostly dell) LCD screen "help, pixel stuck in 2005pfw!!!", "crap, 2405 way too bright!!!", "why is my dell LCD humming when it's on?!?!?!?"

ugh, stick with a nice CRT and you will have great picture without all the hassles. i would be infinitely pissed if i had to send a monitor back 5 times just to get one that doesn't have stuck pixels, AND i would be loathe to be subject to some "return policy" that says i have to put up with stuck pixels if there are any less than eight! eight! can you imagine using an LCD with eight pixels stuck in red?! ahhh!
I'm very grateful that I no longer have to look at a CRT all day like I did in college. I swear I used to get headaches from doing work on the computer, even at 85 hz. I don't seem to notice it as much now that I have an LCD and only use LCDs at work.

I think that with the march of technology, analog monitors will go away. Between OLED, SED and LED backlights and on and on, something will replace CRTs and once you can match a CRT without being huge like a CRT,... that'll be the end. Analog made a whole lot of sense for a CRT, but for anything thin, where each pixel is addressed separately by the controller, digital is the way to go.

Oh and you aren't going to get much for your 15" lcd right now,... let alone in 5 years, especially when you consider that the CCFL backlight has a finite lifespan.

Back