Will AGP 8x card work in 4x motherboard?

bluesteel

Limp Gawd
I recently found that my motherboard only supports agp 4x. IM wanting to order an nvidia 6800 OC but im not sure if the card will function correctly in my mobo. Will i be able to properly utilize the 6800 OC and for that matter is it possible to use an 8x agp card in a 4x mobo?

I believe any agp mobo will run the card, but not at the optimal speed. Also, if the board is 8x, (which is the fastest I believe) Wont it be fine either way?

I used to (and still do) run a P4 with an old Intel board that was never even thought of before 1989 with an agp setup and I ran a 9800pro like a fox. It will just limit the bandwidth, not be totally incompatible. That is unless the 6800 OC is a PCI-E card....

I believe 8x (3.0) is compatible backwards with 2.0 (4x (maybe 2x too?)). Just definitely not the older 1.0 agp's because of voltage differences. You should be fine

yeah the Nv drivers give you the option. you might be prompted for bios upon installing it tho.

if you have a half decent bios and a half decent NB heat sink you might try squeezing some extra MHz out of your AGP lanes.

8x should work in a 4x, but probably not in a 2x.

Also, 4x should work in a 2x but probably not in a 1x (IIRC).

AGP 8x and 4x are completely compatible with each other, its 2x that is iffy, because it did have a different voltage output. Somes cards cant survive in a 2x if they are 4/8x speed, and/or the mobo wont work either.

AGP4x cards will generally work in any slot, and AGP2x, 4x, and 8x cards will all work in AGP4x slots. However, AGP2x and 8x are not cross-compatible. You'll be fine running that card in an AGP4x slot.

Back