WIll a PCI-E 2.0 card work in this mobo?

daveuk100

n00b
HI all,

I have a Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra motherboard which supports PCI-E x16 ... but I have noticed that a lot of the new Geforce 8800 GT cards mention that they are "PCI-E 2.0"

Question: WIll a Geforce 8800GT PCI-E 2.0 card work in my motherboard??

Thanks!
-Dave

I'm wondering the same thing. I have a A8N-SLI Deluxe from the Nvidia 4 series mbs. Will this MB support a 3870 or 8800 GT?

PCIe 2 is backwards will work with PCIe motherboards, however, you will not get the extra features like more bandwidth/power draw.

PCIE 2.0 differs in protocol and speed. It does not differ in the physical slot. You can plug a Gen1 card into a Gen2 motherboard and run at Gen1. You can plug a Gen2 card into a Gen1 motherboard and run at Gen1. If either of these configurations does not work, then you have a buggy motherboard or GPU and need to RMA one of them.

I'm not familiar with which Gen2 motherboards have yet been released. But I can tell you that the G92 (GeForce 8800 GT) supports Gen2, and will run on Gen1 and Gen2 motherboards.

-Raystonn

So all that stuff about the PCI-E v1.1 only wokring with the PCI-E v2.0 and not with the PCI-E v1.0a was complete BS?

Back