Will a new router improve performance?

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey ppl, I have a netgear rp114 router which I bought a long time ago. I couldnt even find it on netgears site its probably so old. What I want to know is if it's worth me purchasing a new wired router for my pc's. Since the hardware and firmware will be a few years newer, will I see improved performance? Any recommendations? I also have a cable modem btw, not sure if it matters.

Thanks

Check if your old router is 10Mbps.
100Mbps will sugnificantly make a big difference.

If you have a extra machine you could always put together a ipcop/smoothwall/clarkconnect/m0n0wall box and see if you get any better performance. If not, well, keep your router. If you do, you can either keep your new firewall/router in place or buy a new one of your choice.

You will not see any performance increase. You dont push enough data to do so.

100MB wount be any faster than a 10MB when the pipe coming in is only 1 or 2 MB

Originally posted by J
You will not see any performance increase. You dont push enough data to do so.

100MB wount be any faster than a 10MB when the pipe coming in is only 1 or 2 MB

You're assuming he is only accessing the Internet. Since he didn't say, I'd add that your Internet connection won't be any faster, but switching to 100Base-T ethernet will speed up file transfers between computers on the network.

Originally posted by Wetling
You're assuming he is only accessing the Internet. Since he didn't say, I'd add that your Internet connection won't be any faster, but switching to 100Base-T ethernet will speed up file transfers between computers on the network.

The RP114 has 4 ports of 10/100 switched on the LAN side and a 10Mb port on the WAN side.

You your self are assuming with out looking at the specs of the unit. I see no need for him to upgrade to a newer model as the speed inprovement (if any) would not be enough to justify the cost.

link to full specs on the RP114

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/RP114.php

Back