A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!
I have a q6600 @ 3.0ghz. Would upgrading to a newer cpu make a difference at 5900x1080? I'm thinking my first bottleneck would be the 1gb of vram on the 5970, but can the cpu also have an effect?
Depends entirely on the game, a game like BC2 is extremely harsh on the CPU and you'd likely be CPU bottlenecked there, other games you may not see benefits. I'm in a similar position with a 5970 and a Q9450@3.6Ghz, I've decided to wait for Sandybridge 8 core CPUs rumoured for Q4 this year.
The VRAM on the 5970 is only a bottleneck in some very specific circumstance although it maybe become more important in future, it's hard to tell. At that resolution VRAM will be filled with large amounts of AA making high levels of AA on more modern games impossible (8x usually).
Generally speaking with modern/future games the GPU cores will start to struggle to push that many pixels running that level of AA so even if you had more VRAM there is no evidence to suggest the GPUs would keep up and give you a decent frame rate to begin with. Older games also aren't really affected, which AA will eat up a lot of vRAM there texture budgets are lower and allow for it.