Will A NeoPower 480 Suffice?

Funky_Junk

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 1, 2005
Messages
353
I was wondering if an Antec NeoPower 480w would suffice for this build:

DFI Lanpart Ultra-D
Opteron 165
7800GT
WD Caviar 250GB HD w/ 16MB cache
(1) NEC Burner
2GB Gskill PC4000 RAM
Zalman CNPS9500
(3) Case Fans

I also plan on heavily overclocking this system which might put extra strain on the PSU. In the event that the system is heavily overclocked would the PSU be able to handle the system? Thanks.
 
As far as I can tell you should be fine with those specs you're only around 300watts with 100% CPU utilization. I also have a neopower 480watt and I'm planning on pushing it to around 430 watts when I upgrade, then I'll get a new PSU so I can finish upgrading. Sucks I can't afford all the hardware at one time. :(
 
So even if I overclock it to the extreme and add an extra hard drive would I still be safe?
 
Funky_Junk said:
So even if I overclock it to the extreme and add an extra hard drive would I still be safe?

Yeah you should be fine. But if you go SLI or add more than 2 drives, you should get a better PSU. I currently have 4 SATA drives, athlonxp mobile@3200+, 3 sticks ddr, agp 6800, 2 optical drives, audigy 2 w/ frontbay, 6 120mm fans, fan controller, 4 cathodes, kb/mouse, tv card all running from my neopower 480. All this puts me at around 370 watts at 100% cpu/gpu usage.

After my initial upgrade to an athlon 64 3200+, 7800 GT, and new mobo I'll be at about 420 watts. 420 watts is kinda pushing this PSU to the limit, so before I do anymore upgrading I am probably going to go with a PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 850 SSI or maybe the 1k since I need to add more drives and memory.

Edit: Didn't count right.. Make that 7 120mm fans and I forgot to mention my 80mm vantec tornado. Incase you're wondering why I have so many fans... I have one of those mountainmods U2-UFO Cases, lots of fans, but lots of noise
 
yes. i run this on a neo480...

X2 3800. 2.45ghz, 1.52v
SLI 7800GT's
2x 7k2 HDD's (250/200gb)
NEC DVD-RW
2GB G.Skill PC4000
a buttload of fans :p
Hauppage PVR-150MCE
HDA Digital X-Mystique 7.1
a plethora of USB devices (powered by USB)

the 12v rail is still completly stable and the system never crashes.
 
lithium726 said:
yes. i run this on a neo480...

X2 3800. 2.45ghz, 1.52v
SLI 7800GT's
2x 7k2 HDD's (250/200gb)
NEC DVD-RW
2GB G.Skill 240mhz
a buttload of fans :p
Hauppage PVR-150MCE
HDA Digital X-Mystique 7.1
a plethora of USB devices (powered by USB)

the 12v rail is still completly stable and the system never crashes.

I originally had a neopower that I was planning to run a 4400+ X2, sli GTs, 2 gigs of ram, 1 250 gig 16 meg cache WD drive, 3 120mm fans, so much less than what you're running. However, I sent it back for a refund and instead I got an antec truepower 550W PSU, that is SLI certified. I trust your word, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
 
*shrug*

ive had my neopower since my athlon XP 3000+ rig.

the day it stops working or cant supply enough power is the day ill put it in the parts drawer. for a new system, you are better off with a new power supply. if you already have the supply, itll be fine.
 
For DFI boards I would go with david hammock's suggestions and stick with the OCZ powerstream series...not to say the Neopower won't work as it most likely would but DFI boards are notoriously picky.
 
Back
Top