Will a G3220 and a Matrix 7970 be a fair gaming rig?

narsbars

2[H]4U
I inherited a mix of parts and I have a PCmate Z97, Intel G3220, and a Matrix 7970 I am tossing in a rig for him.
Any idea how it will game.

This is all about budget, please don't be the guy that says "spend $250.00 for a CPU and it will run better".
Even the 3258 is $69.00 new so watch for my next WTB thread.

I am just trying to guess if his games will stutter, look bad, or have other problems. At the moment the highest level game he is playing is Skyrim, and the Witcher 3.

sell that CPU and buy at least an i3... is not too much, but the pentiums are crap, even an overclocked G3258 to 4.5+ghz will offer a poor experience in any modern game since you mentioned the witcher 3.. the experience will be certainly poor in general as two cores will certainly be a bottleneck for most modern tittles out there, he will not be able to launch some tittles in a dual core while he will be able to do with an i3 due to extra threads and that will be my best recommendation, even in a tight budget I consider the i3 as the minimum cpu for anything related to gaming.

About the GPU the 7970 Matrix will do great in skyrim maxed out even with a lot of mods but certainly will show the age in modern tittles, the witcher 3 will require to turn off certain features and turn down others to have a enjoyable experience but no with the lack of CPU power from that cpu, it will cause major bottlenecks.

sell that CPU and buy at least an i3... is not too much, but the pentiums are crap, even an overclocked G3258 to 4.5+ghz will offer a poor experience in any modern game since you mentioned the witcher 3.. the experience will be certainly poor in general as two cores will certainly be a bottleneck for most modern tittles out there, he will not be able to launch some tittles in a dual core while he will be able to do with an i3 due to extra threads and that will be my best recommendation, even in a tight budget I consider the i3 as the minimum cpu for anything related to gaming.

About the GPU the 7970 Matrix will do great in skyrim maxed out even with a lot of mods but certainly will show the age in modern tittles, the witcher 3 will require to turn off certain features and turn down others to have a enjoyable experience but no with the lack of CPU power from that cpu, it will cause major bottlenecks.

I guess putting up a WTB thread was a good idea. I think the 7970 will carry him for a while, my backup rig has a 280X and they are close in performance, but I also think you are right and the 3220 may choke.
LOL he keeps eye balling my 4790K but he isn't getting that unit.

The 7970 video card should do okay in most respect. ...just keep resolution respectable.

The CPU sucks though. An i3 would be a decent step up.

You'll be fine gaming with either. It will buckle on games that can use 4 or more threads though.

I game more than fine on a 3258 and 7850.

You'll be fine gaming with either. It will buckle on games that can use 4 or more threads though.

I game more than fine on a 3258 and 7850.

if all what you play is League of Legends, Minecraft and pre-2010 games, then yes you may have a point.

im sorry, never meant to be offensive but is the truth. You can say that you can do some gaming in a G3258 with an HD7850 probably at 1920*1080 and everything will be OK, but from that to "Game more than fine" is just not OK because you know that isn't right with anything related to modern gaming. "G3258 + Gaming" those words simply doesn't cohere exactly, some people may even believe that's possible and will be out going to buy a Pentium G3258 because they read in a forum that a Pentium G3258 do gaming more than fine and then they will be even unable to launch some games because is a dual core chip?. hmm, nope i'm sorry but nope..

To put more words here, I did some gaming test in my 8 Years old daughter which use a Pentium [email protected] + GTX 670 and that was just a horrible experience even in the games she play which are mostly Minecraft and The Sims 3 and 4.. the HTPC with an 4130 + 660TI did an absolutely better job in every sense even with the weaker card, so yes I kinda know what i'm talking about..

im sorry, never meant to be offensive but is the truth. You can say that you can do some gaming in a G3258 with an HD7850 probably at 1920*1080 and everything will be OK, but from that to "Game more than fine" is just not OK because you know that isn't right with anything related to modern gaming. "G3258 + Gaming" those words simply doesn't cohere exactly, some people may even believe that's possible and will be out going to buy a Pentium G3258 because they read in a forum that a Pentium G3258 do gaming more than fine and then they will be even unable to launch some games because is a dual core chip?. hmm, nope i'm sorry but nope..

Not true at all and I game exclusively at 1080p on those resolutions. I also mentioned in my post (which you seem to like to gloss over) that it does fine any game that does not require more than 2 threads, and it does, which Anand also backs up that sentiment as well.

To put more words here, I did some gaming test in my 8 Years old daughter which use a Pentium [email protected] + GTX 670 and that was just a horrible experience even in the games she play which are mostly Minecraft and The Sims 3 and 4.. the HTPC with an 4130 + 660TI did an absolutely better job in every sense even with the weaker card, so yes I kinda know what i'm talking about..

Considering this is a hand me down and yes, the Pentium does well in gaming alone I would think it rather ignorant to tell the person they need to upgrade in order to play games. It plays them and plays them fine.

Dude, calm down. For one, we're talking about a system that someone is getting for free. Second, "good" gaming ability is all up to interpretation. Most people are okay with getting only 30-ish fps. It's kind of weird, but it does happen. As long as the framerate is steady, most casual people could care less. If anyone reads this thread and goes out and gets a Pentium thinking that they'll run all the latest demanding games that need four threads to really run smoothly, then that's on them for not reading the thread in context.

The real question is - "Hey, I'm giving this system away that has these parts in it - will it be okay?" The answer is yes, it should be okay. On games that don't require four threads, it will run great, because the 7970 will carry it. For games that really need more than two threads, the answer will be that it will simply be "okay". It should still be very playable.

God im glad im not trying to play modern games with a dual core cpu lol. If this pc is for your own child spend some money on something better...if not throw it together.(cause who cares? enough to spend money?) You can find extremely nice gaming capable cpus on ebay for cheap

Yeah, I would try to get an i5/i7 for better balance, but that's easier said then done. It might be worth looking at buying a refurb'd tower with a non-K i5 or i7, swap the processors, and resell the tower on CL. Probably a big performance boost without too much wallet hit, as the biggest value in those refurb machines for someone who knows is the processor.

Could always sell the cpu/mobo and get an older quad core if money is tight. I mean this will work and will work well for a lot of things, but the writing is on the wall, quad core is the way of the future and I know some games have had some real issues will dual cores even if clocked high.

dam the market on used socket 1150 cpus is not the best.....cheapest quad i see is around 130ish....know one selling cheap xeons yet on the socket? Would be a lot cheaper off on 2011 sockets it seems

I got a G3258 to play around with when it came out and overclocked the snot out of it, got it up to 4.8ghz. Paired with a 7850 I had laying around, there is no doubt that in many games the CPU was a major bottleneck. BF4, for example, was pegged at 100% CPU usage and FPS was very closely tied to clock speed (indicating CPU bottleneck). I wanted to love that processor, but the fact of the matter was it just didn't cut it in modern gaming. I used that machine as a backup when I was rebuilding my main rig and it was fine for things like D3, TF2 and other stuff that was older/less graphically intense

EDIT- should note that I later upgraded to a gtx960 w/ the G3258 in there and it was still struggling, so definitely CPU limited. Got a major boost in games like Witcher 3 and BF4 when I swapped the cpu for a 4690K before I took it on a 6th month business trip.

Last edited:
I got a G3258 to play around with when it came out and overclocked the snot out of it, got it up to 4.8ghz. Paired with a 7850 I had laying around, there is no doubt that in many games the CPU was a major bottleneck. BF4, for example, was pegged at 100% CPU usage and FPS was very closely tied to clock speed (indicating CPU bottleneck). I wanted to love that processor, but the fact of the matter was it just didn't cut it in modern gaming. I used that machine as a backup when I was rebuilding my main rig and it was fine for things like D3, TF2 and other stuff that was older/less graphically intense
This i believe is a good statement of what to expect. It either matters or it doesn't -If its a give away to a buddy then the hole point is irrelevant. (let them pay for upgrades)

That is complete bullshit, you are lying. All current PC games will launch on a dual core. When you don't know what you are talking about then don't try to help.

Far Cry 4 won't launch on a dual core without dll injection.

Personally, I wouldn't settle for anything less than an i3-6100 as the most bottom line budget gaming cpu. But gameplay and game-feel are definitely subjective.

Another option might be to sell the G3258 and Z97 board and downgrade to a Z77 + i5-3570K. I'm seeing a lot of Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge platforms pop up on the For Sale threads due to everyone upgrading to Skylake.

Downside to downgrading would obviously be "un-future-proofing" your rig but you'll get a decent performance boost. Quad core Ivy Bridge chips are not much slower than quad core Haswell and definitely faster than dual core G3258.

Witcher 3 I've been told is pretty graphically intense. If I remove that and just consider skyrim (a relatively old game by today's standards) you should be okay. It may have some issues, but nothing lowering some settings wouldn't fix. I played Skyrim when it first came out on an old 939 X2 system with an 8800GTS, it worked...it was playable.

What Resolution are you trying to push to?

I ended up grabbing the 3258, upping the memory to 8 gigs, mild OC on air. With the Matrix 7970 and the Z97 board my son is playing everything he likes, Skyrim, MaxPayne, various Assassins Creed, and BF3 games at 1080 and is happy as Hell. Plays Witcher 3 at lowered but not crippled settings also.
It runs better than his old AMD 965 and 6970, so he got a huge upgrade. As soon as I find a cheapie 500 gig SSD I will complete his upgrade.
I enjoyed the debate but the end result is that this nearly free gaming rig is excellent on anything we have tried at 1080P

I ended up grabbing the 3258, upping the memory to 8 gigs, mild OC on air. With the Matrix 7970 and the Z97 board my son is playing everything he likes, Skyrim, MaxPayne, various Assassins Creed, and BF3 games at 1080 and is happy as Hell. Plays Witcher 3 at lowered but not crippled settings also.
It runs better than his old AMD 965 and 6970, so he got a huge upgrade. As soon as I find a cheapie 500 gig SSD I will complete his upgrade.
I enjoyed the debate but the end result is that this nearly free gaming rig is excellent on anything we have tried at 1080P
Awesome man!! Glad to hear your kid is having a good time.

If hes like my son....He dont give a flying fuck as long as its playing over 20fps...and you think as they get older it would NOPE - the teenybopper effect takes over their minds lol (long as their playing with there friends online its all good) they DO NOT VALUE THE same stuff we do (max settings with over 60fps)...they really dont!

So glad to hear he is having a good time..You said you have a "mild OC" on the 3258..May I ask what you settled on? I built my Pop's a replacement home office/light gaming machine with the exact same MB and 3258 with a 7850 and I was able to reach 4.4Ghz on stock Vcore with the stock Intel HSF (although it was loud)...I dropped a $20 HSF upgrade in there and it now runs @ 4.6Ghz with lower temps then the previous OC...

I guess my point is do NOT be afraid to push the 3258...They are easily able to take ~1.45V as long as you have decent cooling, and honestly 4.5Ghz should be able to be reached with just a slight Vcore bump...Since you are limited to 2 threads every Mhz counts, I found that from 4Ghz to 4.4Ghz, the MIN FPS went up a good ~20%, and the boost to 4.6Ghz made it even better..

If hes like my son....He dont give a flying fuck as long as its playing over 20fps...and you think as they get older it would NOPE - the teenybopper effect takes over their minds lol (long as their playing with there friends online its all good) they DO NOT VALUE THE same stuff we do (max settings with over 60fps)...they really dont!

I wish I could have been happy with 20FPS, even as a kid...I am uber sensitive to what I now know is simulation sickness, soo I have always needed the FPS...

my son's computer has pentium 3258 overclocked 2 4 ghz paired with a gtx 480, and for world of warcraft and minecraft... and youtube... it should last him another year then maybe i wil turn it into a pfsence box... maybe

Not all games (or even most games) use multiple cores - in fact, the number of such games for Windows - total - is what - ten?

Also, the Sims 3 (or Sims 4, for that matter) is not coded all that well - the saving grace is that the Sims 2 was, in fact, coded worse. Also, what OS is the G-box running? If you have Windows 8 (or 7) on it - for Ned's sake *why*? As much as folks claim to hate Windows 10 (because it has a different UI), once you get past that, Windows 10 is, in fact, better in every other way - no matter WHAT sort of gaming you do - from casual to hard core. And an i3 (for gaming) is either very little better (or no better) then a Pentium-G of ANY sort - as fake cores are not real cores, no matter how you try to spin it.. If a Pentium-G is unsuitable, go to an i5 with four real cores (this is especially true if Ashes of the Singularity is on the play schedule, as Ashes IS one of those few games that can leverage four or more cores; however, it's not as if Ashes can't be played at all with a dual-core).

Also, do not consider any new GPU older than R7 or GTX9xx - the ONLY reason to consider those older ones is if they are gently-used OR factory refurbs for $100USD or less. Otherwise, start at GTX960 OR R9-280 - you won't spend $200USD for either (Newegg or Amazon) and because they support both DX11 *and* DX12, you'll be set for mainstream gaming for at least three years yet. Hyperthreading has exactly ZERO benefit in gaming - in point of fact, very little benefit outside of gaming, either.

Not all games (or even most games) use multiple cores - in fact, the number of such games for Windows - total - is what - ten?

Also, the Sims 3 (or Sims 4, for that matter) is not coded all that well - the saving grace is that the Sims 2 was, in fact, coded worse. Also, what OS is the G-box running? If you have Windows 8 (or 7) on it - for Ned's sake *why*? As much as folks claim to hate Windows 10 (because it has a different UI), once you get past that, Windows 10 is, in fact, better in every other way - no matter WHAT sort of gaming you do - from casual to hard core. And an i3 (for gaming) is either very little better (or no better) then a Pentium-G of ANY sort - as fake cores are not real cores, no matter how you try to spin it.. If a Pentium-G is unsuitable, go to an i5 with four real cores (this is especially true if Ashes of the Singularity is on the play schedule, as Ashes IS one of those few games that can leverage four or more cores; however, it's not as if Ashes can't be played at all with a dual-core).

Also, do not consider any new GPU older than R7 or GTX9xx - the ONLY reason to consider those older ones is if they are gently-used OR factory refurbs for $100USD or less. Otherwise, start at GTX960 OR R9-280 - you won't spend $200USD for either (Newegg or Amazon) and because they support both DX11 *and* DX12, you'll be set for mainstream gaming for at least three years yet. Hyperthreading has exactly ZERO benefit in gaming - in point of fact, very little benefit outside of gaming, either.

OMG, not you again, you should tell kyle to change your name to Intel G3258 representative.. damn I can even predict your next answer, "this things so absolutely fast that guess what, I don't even have the need to overclock" or "explain why this chip is faster than my old C2Q chip?" always the same answer, no matter how much people say things to you, you are always stubborn spreading widely in every Pentium thread how great is that chip.. I still remember that EPIC "If G3258 were only doing break-even compared to Q6600 (stock vs. stock), you would have a point - and that is what I expected to happen. However, that is NOT what is happening; instead, Q6600 is getting waxed - and in the same games (and that includes Crysis 3) - worse, two games I play now I couldn't play on Q6600 at all (Ashes of the Singularity and ANNO 2205) with the same GPU; how the heck do you explain that?"

I think I need to post some videos AGAIN.

first:

second:

third: bah, if you need more just tell me I have a lot of videos prepared for you =)

what if we add a modern i3 skylake to the mix?.

TRBench6100.jpg

GridAutoSportBenchmark6100.jpg

let's use your terms, damn that G3258 is getting waxed by the i3...

ohh and btw if you don't know, the 7970 is faster than the R9 280 you are recommending as the 7970 is rebranded as R9 280X. so he don't need to buy a newer GPU. specially with a dual core chip =)..

yeah many games really get better performance with 4cores than 2,and already a g3258 is a bottleneck for a 7970

Even the most basic highly used program on my pc uses like 17 threads when in use. To say virtual cores are of no value or that dual cores are all thats needed in this day and age is kinda silly to me. Being frugal for kid purchases is understandable. I dam sure wouldn't buy a dual core for myself (if i could help it). Also your guesstimate on games that uses multiple cores is way low i think. Shit theirs around 14 games using just the frostbite 3 engine. And those games can max out a non ht quad to 100% usage (I dont see how they even work on dual cores). Most games are console ports right? How many cores do consoles use especially with dx12 finally starting to get used.

Even the most basic highly used program on my pc uses like 17 threads when in use. To say virtual cores are of no value or that dual cores are all thats needed in this day and age is kinda silly to me. Being frugal for kid purchases is understandable. I dam sure wouldn't buy a dual core for myself (if i could help it). Also your guesstimate on games that uses multiple cores is way low i think. Shit theirs around 14 games using just the frostbite 3 engine. And those games can max out a non ht quad to 100% usage (I dont see how they even work on dual cores). Most games are console ports right? How many cores do consoles use especially with dx12 finally starting to get used.
Well not all games that use the same graphics engine have good multithreading scaling

Look at nfs the rivals.

But Battlefield 4 isnt a console oriented programming game,Hardline is a true console port

Last edited:
well.. the true and fact is that you can not go to a hardware enthusiast forum community and start to talk and do blatantly ignorant commentaries about how hyperthreading do nothing and show ZERO benefit in gaming and little to no benefit outside gaming so real-world sage. WTH?. that's just. damn, that have no word to describe, I mean is this guy serious?

Not many people is up to date with the games that have a true advabtage with HT,especially 4cores with HT

All I have been saying is that an i5 (as an upgrade) makes better sense than an i3, considering that the price difference is not much greater (i5-K vs. i3); however, G3258 is less than half the price of an i3 - THAT is why I recommend G3258->I5-K (not i3->I5-K) - saving money is not to be sneezed at.
You aren't losing that much by going with G3258 compared to an i3 (which is my reason for recommending G3258 in the first place) and, in most cases, neither your games OR apps will care. In the few cases where you WOULD care, an i5-K would make even better sense (compared to an i3) and it costs not that much more compared TO an i3. My issue is simply that the i3 makes extremely little sense compared to either the G32xx (and especially the '58) OR the i5-K, considering that the ONLY feature difference in terms of the i3 vs. G3258 is HTT (when it comes to gaming), which is why i asked about games and the leverage thereof. I don't hate the i-series, even in general; however, I have little respect for the i3, and especially considering the G3258 and what it can do directly compared to it. More physical cores DOES have real-world benefits (in AND outside of gaming) - I would be hypocritical to claim otherwise (besides, consider Ashes of the Singularity, or even DOOM - plenty of hard data right there); in either case, an i5 (K-series or not) would make more sense than an i3 - that's been my recommendation since even BEFORE finding out that the G3258 can - and can't - do. However, HTT as a benefit (in and of itself) just plain is not there (not G3258 vs. i3, or i5 vs. i7, for that matter) unless you have an application OR game that uses HTT (as a feature) rather heavily. Give me some gist here (games and applications that call specifically on HTT that are NOT niche usage) - it's why I have serious issues recommending an i3 (or even an i7 at the high end). Physical cores (more of them) make sense - games, applications, and the OS all can make use of those - however, how much use is made of HTT that it is worth leveraging as a feature in and of itself? Unless you actually use a feature, why pay through the nose for it? UNfortunately, compared to the CPU immediately below it, you pay through the NOSE for HTT (not just in the case of i3 compared to G3258, but i7-K compared to i5-K) - and that is just LGA1150. I would wager that the reason why you are recommending an i3 is that you are doing it in terms of LGA1151 (Skylake) where there is no equivalent of G3258 in existence; then I would ask how much is Skylake i5-K compared to it? LGA1150 is a leverage play if you already have DDR3 (which I pointed out when I recommended it as a Plan-B for anyone that, like me, did not upgrade to either Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge); otherwise, it would make sense to go to Skylake (again, my own going to '58 changed exactly none of that). I will be going to i5-K at some point - the only question is will I upgrade-in-place or not (Haswell or Skylake); however, right now, I don't see a need for HTT as a feature.

OMG, not you again, you should tell kyle to change your name to Intel G3258 representative.. damn I can even predict your next answer, "this things so absolutely fast that guess what, I don't even have the need to overclock" or "explain why this chip is faster than my old C2Q chip?" always the same answer, no matter how much people say things to you, you are always stubborn spreading widely in every Pentium thread how great is that chip.. I still remember that EPIC "If G3258 were only doing break-even compared to Q6600 (stock vs. stock), you would have a point - and that is what I expected to happen. However, that is NOT what is happening; instead, Q6600 is getting waxed - and in the same games (and that includes Crysis 3) - worse, two games I play now I couldn't play on Q6600 at all (Ashes of the Singularity and ANNO 2205) with the same GPU; how the heck do you explain that?"

I think I need to post some videos AGAIN.

first:

second:

third: bah, if you need more just tell me I have a lot of videos prepared for you =)

what if we add a modern i3 skylake to the mix?.

TRBench6100.jpg

GridAutoSportBenchmark6100.jpg

let's use your terms, damn that G3258 is getting waxed by the i3...

ohh and btw if you don't know, the 7970 is faster than the R9 280 you are recommending as the 7970 is rebranded as R9 280X. so he don't need to buy a newer GPU. specially with a dual core chip =)..

And you use Grid Autosport - a racing sim? How many folks even PLAY that? (I don't have so much as ONE racing game in my rota currently; NFS Rivals - which used to be in my rota - was replaced by ANNO 2205.)

Other skew points (from your chart itself) - you have faster memory in the i3-4170 (despite it being stock) compared to the OC'd G (same chipset). I don't (and won't) dispute that DDR4 is faster than DDR3.

I have nothing against Skylake (didn't then and don't now) - same applies to DDR4.

However. you're doubtless pushing Skylake i3 (the i3 that has no equivalent of G32xx below it), and I doubt YOU would recommend i3 as an upgrade either if such existed. Basically, you are recommending Skylake i3 as an alternative to Haswell G3258 (starting place, not an upgrade/crossgrade).
Again, how much is the price difference to get to the Skylake i5-K?

Tons of people play racing games. No idea what you're getting at there. Just because you don't care for them...

well.. the true and fact is that you can not go to a hardware enthusiast forum community and start to talk and do blatantly ignorant commentaries about how hyperthreading do nothing and show ZERO benefit in gaming and little to no benefit outside gaming so real-world sage. WTH?. that's just. damn, that have no word to describe, I mean is this guy serious?

Man, it's almost the lamest folks who think it's others who lack knowledge. HT = snake oil

G3258 is a much better investment than i3's. I have one in my HTPC. While not great. it gets the job done at stock

Back