will a cat6e cable work for me?

gt216

Weaksauce
Will cat 6e cables work with a Belkin wireless router connected to a ethernet adapter on PCI slot (not wired), or will I have to get cat5 for it? I will be using COX cable.

Thanks

Maybe I should be more specific.

I have a 10/100BT ethernet adapter ( 32bit PCI card )
On the box it says "Use Belkin FastCAT5e Networking cables with this product, but i can get cat6e for cheaper...

EDIT: Question answered on "hot deals" forum. Thanks

I didn't know there was such a thing as cat6e cable. :confused:

You can go into millions of specs and whatnot. I'll try to simplify.

Pretty much any Cat5 cable will work for your application. Cat6 is just a newer specification. Newer specifications mainly deal with higher electrical resistance, better adherance to certain standards (like gigabit ethernet over copper) and other things you probably don't need to worry about.

All the rest of "Cat<X> cable is recommended over Cat<Y>" is marketing crap. If you're feeling adventurous, google it or something. ieee.org and ietf.org are your friends.

PS! said:
You can go into millions of specs and whatnot. I'll try to simplify.

Pretty much any Cat5 cable will work for your application. Cat6 is just a newer specification. Newer specifications mainly deal with higher electrical resistance, better adherance to certain standards (like gigabit ethernet over copper) and other things you probably don't need to worry about.

All the rest of "Cat<X> cable is recommended over Cat<Y>" is marketing crap. If you're feeling adventurous, google it or something. ieee.org and ietf.org are your friends.

Agreed..

Gigabit is certified to run over C5e cable.. Anything additional for a residential application is a waste.

And for the record, there is a C5e, C5E+, C6, C6e, C6E+, and C7.

Anything C6e and above is designed for use for 10G over Copper, which is not a standard yet.

SSpiro said:
Agreed..

Gigabit is certified to run over C5e cable.. Anything additional for a residential application is a waste.

And for the record, there is a C5e, C5E+, C6, C6e, C6E+, and C7.

Anything C6e and above is designed for use for 10G over Copper, which is not a standard yet.
Ahh, thanks for that, I hadn't seen any, so I wasn't exactly sure.

Back