• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will a 9800 pro run Doom 3 fine?

Grizzle

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Messages
231
If this question has been addressed before, Forgive me.

I used the search function, no luck :(

My system specs are (don't laugh)

K7N2-V
Barton 2500+
512 Crucial
120 gig WD HD
9600 SE right now
420 Watt PS

I'm looking at buying the 9800 pro off newegg for 199.00

My other alternative is the 6800. But I'd like to stay as CHEAP as possible :)

Thanks in advance.
 
It's really anybody's guess cause the game isnt out and we really dont have requirements or w/e. But on my guess, I'm sure the 9800 will run fine :)
 
I say wait until the game comes out, HOWEVER...

I downloaded that leaked ATI demo from last year's E3, and my 9800 pro runs it fine (30-55 fps, which for this game is fine, since its going to be mainly single player and a very slow paced game anyway) at 1280x1024 with all the details enabled. Now, I know that's not the final game, but I assume the final game will run even better, since Carmack and his crew are extremely good at optimizing a game for speed and efficiency.


I think I'm going to need some more ram, though. There seems to be a fair bit of swapping going on...
 
If you want to save 50bucks then get a MSI RX9800pro for around 206.00 at newegg and just flash it into a 9800XT. It comes with a R360 core so don't worry about that.
 
Now my next question. Am I REALLY going to notice that big of a difference? Between a 9800 pro and a 6800?

I play these games right now

COD
Farcry

Game I will buy in future
Doom 3
HL2
WoW

If I can get away with a 9800 pro, then I'd like to do that. But, in the long run, if a 6800 would be a better snag, then I will grab that.
 
Grizzle said:
Now my next question. Am I REALLY going to notice that big of a difference? Between a 9800 pro and a 6800?

I play these games right now

COD
Farcry

Game I will buy in future
Doom 3
HL2
WoW

If I can get away with a 9800 pro, then I'd like to do that. But, in the long run, if a 6800 would be a better snag, then I will grab that.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2113&p=4

For comparison:
win = 5fps or higher score than the competition
* means the card won by 10fps or more (big win)
tie means score difference was less than 5fps (insignificant)

6800 vs 9800XT

Aquamark - 6800 win

no AA/AF
EVE: The Second Genesis - tie
FarCry - 6800 win*
Final Fantasy XI - tie
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - 6800 win*
Unreal Tournament 2004 (1280x1024) - 6800 win*
Unreal Tournament 2004 (1600x1200) - 6800 win
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - 6800 win*
X2: The Threat (1280x1024) - 6800 win*
X2: The Threat (1600x1200) - 6800 win*

4x AA/8xAF
EVE: The Second Genesis - tie
F1 Challenge (1280x1024) - 6800 win*
F1 Challenge (1600x1200) - 6800 win
FarCry - tie
Halo (1280x1024) - 6800 win*
Halo (1600x1200) - 6800 win*
Homeworld 2 (1280x1024) - 6800 win*
Homeworld 2 (1600x1200) - 6800 win*
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - 6800 win*
Neverwinter Nights - 6800 win*
Unreal Tournament 2004 (1280x1024) - tie
Unreal Tournament 2004 (1600x1200) - tie
Warcraft 3 - 6800 win
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory - 6800 win*
X2: The Threat (1280x1024) - 6800 win*
X2: The Threat (1600x1200) - tie

(digit-life)
hl2b1.png


You be the judge. Odds are the 6800 will be a lot faster in Doom and probably faster in WoW too. As for Half Life 2, see above.
 
Thanks for the posts fellas.

It's settled. I'll spend a little more money :)
 
you are more likely to be bottlenecked by 512MB of ram and your Barton than the graphics card....for next gen games, you want between 1GB-2GB of system ram and 256MB of graphics ram. and a system with memory bandwidth between 5GB-7GB/sec(p4, AthlonFX, Opteron 1xx)
 
That's kinda overkill for doom 3, WoW, and HL2?

I mean, Sure, that would be ideal, but most of us don't have money to spend like that :)

If I didnt pay my bills...
 
Grizzle, you really would be best served doing the research yourself and then through it coming to a conclusion. 8dimensional.com is a good site to go to for a list of different video card reviews. Resellerratings is also another good site for your buying needs.

Also on the subject of Doom3, nobody really knows how the game will perform on a 9800 atm. The early indicators we had, being the reviews distributed by nVidia early last year, are probably void now since the games engine has changed quite a bit since then. Also ATI has recently said we should expect improvements with respect to their OpenGL drivers (and there is that rumored rewrite of they are supposedly doing). Just have to wait and see.
 
Back
Top