Will a 10 series video card handle 2 different refresh rate displays with no problem?

vjhawk

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking of buying a 165hz monitor for either Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

My secondary display would then be my 75hz monitor.

So will that work on my GTX 1080 to run 1 display at 75hz and the other at 165hz?

Sounds kinda weird. Anyone else use two different refresh rate monitors and what has been your experience with that?

I have never been happy with what seems to happen to the "feel" of my games running my 100Hz panel and 60Hz panel on the same GPU. FPS overall doesn't seem to suffer but its immeditely felt in the mouse movement, it's hard to describe.

GTX1070 btw.

I've moved to Plugable's line of USB3 to whatever you want adapters for non-gaming displays to free up my GPU to drive my main gaming display only. Well, I should say I only do that now since moving to Ryzen 7 and not having onboard video anymore.

Interesting... well I do have a spare video card. Maybe I could use that to run my 75hz display?

It's a really old Radeon Hd 6450. Crazy but it might just work. I'm a little worried about having both AMD and Nvidia drivers loaded at the same time though. Would this be a good solution or am I just inviting headaches?

I would just see how you fare. Others don't have seemsto have the problems I did or aren't sensitive to it so before changing anything, just see how it goes.

I have a XB271HU at 165 and u2518d at 60. Using a gtx1080 with latest drivers and current win10 I have noticed that the refresh rate on the XB271HU drops whenever I place a window with some sort of animation on the 60hz display. It does not drop to 60hz like it's flat out mirroring the slower rate, but it drops and varies within like a 90-120hz range. It's noticeable and doesn't look or feel like the proper 165hz. Pretty sure I observed the same effect when I used a 240+165 setup for a few weeks. I was trying to game on the 240hz while displaying a twitch stream on the 165hz display - again there was an obvious hit to the 240hz refresh rate in this scenario. If you google this sort of topic you'll find a lot of different opinions on it; some say they found a fix or that Microsoft corrected it in a update. After troubleshooting myself and trying the various suggestions others have put forth I still could not get the mismatched displays to behave like you would expect.

If you know what I mean or have a fix please let me know. I'd love to hear your experiences

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I run a 120hz and 60hz screen. I've done this since I had a 780gtx. I've run monitoring sw on the secondary and found I can repeat [H] benchmarks scores within a few % points for the cards tested. So for gaming performance, I don't feel it is too negatively impacted.

I did do some browser testing and found if I ran testufo tests on both screens, the faster screen would sync fps to the 60hz screen.

With a movie playing on the 60 hz screen, testufo website also had issues maintaining a stutter free 120. I would imagine that a 165hz vs 60hz would suffer worse.

Last edited:
They won't play very well together and it sucks that there isn't a real driver based fix for this after all this time.

I run a 165hz monitor for gaming and have a 60hz secondary monitor for movies... I'm literally purchasing a 144hz monitor (and will run both at 144hz) solely to get rid of the issues with running monitors at different frequencies.

I've been running 120hz/60hz for like 8 years. Never had an issue.
The GPU's I can remember running like this was a GTX 280, 460, 480, 770 and 1060.
Changed it to 3 monitors at 60hz/144hz/60hz this weekend when I got my 2070.

I really don't have a clue what you guys are talking about. Its stutter free and smooth, and always has been.

The test is really easy to do, run a video on a 60 hz and open up a site like https://testufo.com/ on the other screen. Testufo will automatically try to sync up with the refresh. Try 2 separate windows or cross the 1 window across 2 screens and you will see what the others have been saying.

Your perception of what is fine is exactly that, some people may be sensitive to the "stutter" which may occur. The larger the gap in hz, the more pronounced the effect. For a user, the "stutter" may simply be perceived as some mouse lag.

I'm talking about stuttering while gaming. Anything else is careface to me.
I'd say I am very sensitive to framerates under 85fps and stuttering, so I should have noticed if there was any stuttering ingame.

Last edited:
As long as you are only playing on one monitor at a time it will work fine. I have a 144 Hz desktop monitor and a 60 Hz TV connected to my machine and notice no issues on the desktop or when gaming with both connected. If you have them side by side and use the lower refresh rate monitor on the desktop you might find the drop in refresh rate jarring when moving the mouse cursor to the second monitor.

Reactions: isp
like this
Yeah like I was saying earlier, its something that some may just not notice but there is a feeling in the mouse movement and almost a lag, though very slight. Unplugging my second 60Hz display from my 1070 immediately solves this (well, restarting the game too). This is with a 100Hz and 60Hz display. Its super noticeable and I just don't have the patience to find the right setting combination to resolve it.

Just moving my secondary displays to a totally different display device totally solves this headache.

Just press the windows key on bottom of your keyboard and the letter P to switch between them.

I do the same thing but only like one monitor on at time.

Gaming is fine on a mixed refresh combo. I have used this for years with no issues. I'll even stream hockey and basketball games on my 2nd 60hz screen while playing video games and I have yet to see my stats be affected by this. In the early days of switching GPU, I usually run monitoring sw on the 2nd screen to ensure my clocks and temps are good over long gaming sessions. After a few weeks I don't monitor them and don't notice any perceptible improvement of "lag" for mouse movements. FPS games are extremely sensitive to input lag which is my mainstay for my setup.

Just press the windows key on bottom of your keyboard and the letter P to switch between them.

I do the same thing but only like one monitor on at time.
Wow, I should have looked for this shortcut long ago. I have a 160hz + 75hz setup and I almost exclusively only use one or the other depending on what I'm doing... and like a sucker I've been right clicking the desktop and picking "Show only on 1" or "Show only on 2". Glad I came across this one!

Someone told me about that when I was using Windows 8 not sure when it was added.

My 1070 is connected to a 1080p180hz panel and a 4k60hz panel via DisplayPort cables. Both displays are GSYNC and I can easily swap games between them.

My left and right screen run at 75hz and my center screen runs at 144hz, all connected to my 1080. No issues. The only issue you might run into is if you plan on running a clone screen. But extended should be no problem.

Maybe some just haven't experienced what it feels like when only on display is connected so they don't know what feels wrong?

Listen, I wish I didn't notice a night and day difference and I would love it if I could run both displays on my 1070 but sluggishness, while not affecting FPS is super noticable. Sucks.

Maybe some just haven't experienced what it feels like when only on display is connected so they don't know what feels wrong?

Listen, I wish I didn't notice a night and day difference and I would love it if I could run both displays on my 1070 but sluggishness, while not affecting FPS is super noticable. Sucks.

That is not normal. There is probably a fix for this! I do not have any problems on my 1070.

Back