will 6800 gt fit in msi neo platinum ?

vwoodintex

n00b
i read somewhere that this card is too big and it makes contact with the chipset cooler?
is this the case w the neo plat2 or reg. neo plat or both? im kinda a newb, sorry. thanks

the first revision of neo plat2 had a passively cooled heatsink that was too big, was replaced by a fan in future revisions. So unless you have one of the first batch neo plat2, you will be fine.

If you have the Neo Platnium (the one with the little gold heatsink on the chipset) then yes it will fit just fine.

Nothing a dremel can't fix in 30 seconds, if you have the first revision board. The new revision board has an active cooler, which is lower profile.

10-13-04_1347.jpg

If your case is a shuttle type form factor? i would honestly not put a 6800 in there, i run a biostar 200n case for a second pc that i used to have setup with windows xpmce sat in my main room hooked upto the tv on 24/7 the card in it at the time a radeon 9700 which cooked (allot less cooling required than the 6800), theres just not enough air flow in the shuttle type cases for these cards,

I am running a 6800Ultra in a CHIEFTEC Dragon full tower, loads of space but still had to install 2 extra 8mm fans in the case to keep the card in a stable state and a nice temp while playing the likes of doom3 and Farcy.

havent googled for your case so please ignore if its not the shuttle type.

it will also take up 2 slots, not so good in a shuttle.

this is where u post its not a shuttle form factor ;)
one other thing to think about too is the Ultra requires 2 connections to your psu not sure if the GT does, they recommend a 500watt minimum for the Ultra (currently run mine fine on a 400)

Xxplosiv said:
GT is 1 slot...
Yes they are but still run in the 60-70c range and higher when pushed. My 6800nu is running in the 60c range in a new Antec case with plenty of air movement. I would have second thoughts shoving it in a Shuttle knowing how huge it is and the lack of air movement inside the tiny case.

Back