Will 64bit improve gaming performance?

Scheibler1

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently running Windows vista 32bit home premium and DX10. Just wondering if windows 7 64bit would increase my FPS in DX10 games? What's the NOTICEABLE difference i will see going to 64bit? All I do is game and surf the web and not going to upgrade for $100 if gaming isn't much of an improvement

not really, because there aren't really many games capable of pushing the memory limits far enough to make good use of 64bit capacity yet. That's why having 8Gb or more of ram is also a waste for gaming computers, at least as long as you are only playing one game at a time that is.....I hear there is such a things as running multiple instances of the same game....which just sounds odd to me...but I guess if you were going to run the same game in multiples, you might see an advantage with more memory and 64bit operating system

There's basically no reason any more not to go 64 bit if you have a capable CPU, drivers have generally matured enough, you don't have to worry about memory limits, and 64 bit binaries can be faster in some cases as it can help clear up a register pressure among other things.

If you have a 64 bit version of the OS on hand, use it.

not really, because there aren't really many games capable of pushing the memory limits far enough to make good use of 64bit capacity yet. That's why having 8Gb or more of ram is also a waste for gaming computers, at least as long as you are only playing one game at a time that is.....I hear there is such a things as running multiple instances of the same game....which just sounds odd to me...but I guess if you were going to run the same game in multiples, you might see an advantage with more memory and 64bit operating system

this being said i agree with socK. if you have the hardware to support it, go for it, to me Windows 7 x64 is the only way to go these days

64bit is safer malware wise as it needs signed drivers. If you got 4Gb ram why not go 64bit.

Will you gain any gaming improvement? Probably not. Windows x64 will handle more RAM, and can be faster, but I haven't seen that in games.

Keep in mind, though, that I've only run x64 Windows 7 on every machine I have. I've used x32 a few times.

Back