Will 2600K enjoy all the facilities in Z77 Mobo

maverick786us

2[H]4U
After reading the reviews of IB 3770K it is clear that it offers only marginal speed increase over 2600K. Since I can't wait for next generation Broadwell CPUs.

With the introduction of 3770K once price of 2600K declines, I will buy a 2600K. But I want to use a Z77 chipset mobo because of new architecure, new features like USB 3.0, PCI Express 3.0 slots, faster RAM slots (DDR3- 2400Mhz). So will 2600K enjoy all these facilities with a good Overclocking Z77 mobo?

Last edited:
No, the USB, PCI-X, and Native DDR3-1600 are all built into ivy bridge on the die. USB 3.0 will still work, but I believe it is not as fast since the controller is on the processor.

No, the USB, PCI-X, and Native DDR3-1600 are all built into ivy bridge on the die. USB 3.0 will still work, but I believe it is not as fast since the controller is on the processor.

I think you mean PCIe 3.0.

Besides, why would he care? USB 3.0 will still give you 5.0Gb. I doubt he needs PCIe 3.0, and native 1600Mhz means nothing.

You're not really gaining anything switching to a Z77 motherboard over a Z68 gen 3 board if your going to stay Sandy Bridge because those features you're quoting require native support from an Ivy Bridge processor. You're also unlikely to see much of a price drop on current Sandy Bridge processors outside of your typical Microcenter deals that have been going on. If I were building a new system today I'd be buying a 3770k or 3570k regardless of it only being marginally faster.

PCI-X != PCI-E

And Intel processors don't really drop in price, so you might as well get the 3770k if you didn't get the MC deal for the 2600k.

The USB support is in the chipset, not the processor. So all you gain by putting a SB chip in the Z77 board is USB 3.0 - you don't get better memory support or PCIe 3.0. But, you get newer motherboards, with presumably better UEFIs, and better BIOS support.

What 2600K price declines? Other than the occasional Micro Center in-store only deals, which are hit and miss as far as stock goes, 2600k is the same price now as it was before IB was introduced.

As stated already, if you want to take advantage of the new chipsets features, you need to have it paired with a new (IB) cpu.

Back