Will 2005 Set PC Gaming History?

I think a genre that's been lacking for a while is the space combat simulators.

Tie Fighter and X-wing Alliance are two of my favorite games ever.

S1nF1xx said:
The thing about Doom3's lighting and shadows is, there really wasn't a whole lot of lighting and shadows to look at. Everything was either dark or darker, and the unrealistic way the flashlight looked (one dot of light, no ambient light) didn't help. I was too busy squinting trying to decipher whether I was shooting a pinky or computer console.
/slight exaggeration ;)

With the pictures they've released of Q4, all the textures are just directly taken out of Doom 3, hell even the marines were so far just the Doom Guy. It's looking more like Doom 3.1 than Quake 4 IMO. I'm sure there's much more to be done on the game, and I'm hoping they used those textures because they didn't have time to create their own, because I never want to play Doom or anything like it again.

Here's to hoping Q4 will be nothing like D3.

That's not exactly true. Go knock a hanging light around in D3 and see what he was talking about. No other game engine does that yet. I do agree however that the flashlight was seriously weak.

I highly doubt that the textures in Q4 were taken directly from D3. I do however want to halfway defend your statment in the fact that it's most likely the same team on Q4 that was on D3 thus...you will get a lot of the same feel and look. Hopefully they will work more on the actualy story line and total game play. I could give a shit less if the game looked like Pac Man but played like a monster.

Seriously, racing sims are best done on the PC. I tried the console !!!!!!s' holy grail that is Gran Turismo and found it surprisingly boring (I've played all three Turismo games btw) Hopefully Papyrus will emerge with a new sim title on their hands since EA gobbled up the NASCAR rights with their half-assed attempt at a driving game. Sure I can setup my car in Nascar Racing '03 to the point where I beat every lap record by pro drivers. However, that setup is illegal and it wouldn't survive a full race. (goes through tires like they're candy). I don't recall Polyphony digital accounting for the draft in the Gran Turismo games, but in Papyrus' games you can definitely feel your car lose grip when you're in the draft, that doesn't take into account the behaviors of the tires at differing temperatures and pressures as well as disasters like engine overheating.

As far as realistic track modeling, Papyrus went so far as to map EVERY bump at every track that NASCAR runs at. Magnetic Fields (makers of Mobil 1 Rally Championship) modeled all the stages of the real event based off of course and topgraphical maps....so that's nothing new.

Well F.E.A.R looks like it has the potential to out do HL2, that trailer from e3 was insane. Battlefield 2 looks good, a retail version of DC with better graphics, That one will be in my CD Drive for a long time. Other than that, I'm really looking forward to Red Alert 3, which will hopefully be out by the end of the year. It's being made by the original westwood team, and maybe, just maybe will get support this time.

CantAimWhenDrunk said:
I think a genre that's been lacking for a while is the space combat simulators.

Tie Fighter and X-wing Alliance are two of my favorite games ever.

No kidding. I am getting more and more frustrated each year. The only one similar is like X2 but that is not meant to be a space combat simulator so it´s kind of lacking. Will see with the sequel but we do need a real space combat simulator like Xwing Alliance 2 or something.

Give me GTR and Battlefield 2 and i'm set for a while :D

Hopefully Battlefield 2 doesn't end up sucking. Graphicly, it looks like BF:V now, but I hope to GOD the gameplay is pure ownage.

Mr_Evil said:
Seriously, racing sims are best done on the PC. I tried the console !!!!!!s' holy grail that is Gran Turismo and found it surprisingly boring (I've played all three Turismo games btw) Hopefully Papyrus will emerge with a new sim title on their hands since EA gobbled up the NASCAR rights with their half-assed attempt at a driving game. Sure I can setup my car in Nascar Racing '03 to the point where I beat every lap record by pro drivers. However, that setup is illegal and it wouldn't survive a full race. (goes through tires like they're candy). I don't recall Polyphony digital accounting for the draft in the Gran Turismo games, but in Papyrus' games you can definitely feel your car lose grip when you're in the draft, that doesn't take into account the behaviors of the tires at differing temperatures and pressures as well as disasters like engine overheating.

The best other racing game (which used the same engine as NASCAR, pun not intended) was Indycar Racing 2. It had all the teams, all the tracks, and the most realistic driving experience. You could change every little bit of the setup, it accounted for tyre heat and wear, and it even had SVGA, digital sound and no PC speaker support (ahhh, good old DOS). I've been waiting for someone to do an updated version, with DirectX, surround sound etc. but I guess no one is really interested in doing something that complex.

Back