Wii Remote Gyro Problems?

JCJones86

Gawd
Anybody else here getting a problem with the gyration controls with the Wii Remote? I had to slap the remote against my leg in order for it to start working again. This is the first I had heard of it until I did a google search to find anybody with a solution. That's how I got the leg idea. Anyway, this kinda sucks! I'll need to have the thing replaced. For now, it might just work sporadically. :(

Oh no.... Wii working sporadically... slapping it against leg helps.... mustn't comment... :D :eek:

The sensor bar has nothing to do with the motion control gyros. That's only to orient the IR-sensitive camera on the end of the remote. That's working dandy.

Anybody have a problem with the gyro actually not responding? I'm wondering if anybody on here has the problem. I saw about two posts on Nintendo's forums. I hope this isn't something that will affect all Wii remotes in time.

I may not be using the correct terminology, but I'm talking about the motion sensors within the Wii remote, not the IR camera that orients the on-screen cursor.

EDIT: D'oh, should have looked it up. Here's a Wikipedia article on the Gyroscope. That's what I was trying to think of!

JCJones86 said:
I may not be using the correct terminology, but I'm talking about the motion sensors within the Wii remote, not the IR camera that orients the on-screen cursor.

EDIT: D'oh, should have looked it up. Here's a Wikipedia article on the Gyroscope. That's what I was trying to think of!

You are looking for the term "Accelerometers" not Gyroscope

one way to figure it out would be to buy another controller and see if that one worked properly, if it did I think I would exchange the other one for a new on or something.

CodeX said:
For the last time.... THERE ARE NO GYROS IN THE WIIMOTE :rolleyes:

Wow, thanks for that answer! You've solved all my problems, ace! Golly gee, I'll have to read the rest of your nuggets of wisdom on this forum! I'm sure I'll be better for it! :)

Anyway, to answer the question about the problem: Everything will work besides the motion sensing. The cursor works fine, the buttons work fine. There's no bluetooth connection problem. It's the motion detection that's out of whack. Wii Sports isn't playable when this happens. I can't swing the sword in Zelda when it's doing this. Anybody else getting this, or is this topic going to become mindless drivel?

I've found a fix that worked for me. I'm curious as to how widespread this is from you guys.

Both the remote and the nunchuck or just the remote? Send it back for a replacement.

Also, double-check for candles and mirrors in front of your TV. ;)

pr0pensity said:
Both the remote and the nunchuck or just the remote? Send it back for a replacement.

Also, double-check for candles and mirrors in front of your TV. ;)

Just the remote. I suppose it's because of it being used more so than the nunchuk.

Oh, and ARGGHHHHHH!!!! :p

Call up Nintendo of America, describe your symtoms to them and get them to replace it under warenty.

Besides getting a working replacement Wiimote for free, Nintendo will also be very interested doing some kind of falure analysis on your broken Wiimote to potentionaly prevent these problems from occuring in the future.

JCJones86 said:
If that's it, what on earth could be getting stuck that I knocked loose? :confused:

Could just be a dry solder joint. That would easily cause the same problem. With intermittent connections. I'd just buy another pad, put the broken pad in the box and take it back for a refund.

Here is some info on Accelerometers from Texas Instruments, i'm still reading about the sensors but right now i'm thinking that the Wiimote uses the Piezoelectric type sensors. Oh and slamming the sensor around may not be a good idea if they are sensitive, then again people have been throwing them at walls with no damange.

I would call Nintendo, they should replace it and ask for your old unit back to look at the failure.

The Wiimote that came with my system is wonky to. The speaker is bad and cuts in and out and sounds scratchy, I had to turn the volume off it was driving me nuts. Sometimes you can shake the remote and it won't respond in Zelda or Wii Sports.

In rare cases some people use a type of house hold light/lamp/bulb/candle which emits a significant amount of IR, and can cause interference with the Wii.
So make sure its not something you have nearby emitting IR before going further.

One guy mentioned he had problems and couldnt figure out what it was, until a friend moved a really old lamp in the room which happened to be close to the tv, and it worked perfectly after that.

Back