Wii Preorder Question

Anyone else think the low pre-order numbers are just to drive up hype? I live in a fair side community (250k) and the local ebgames/gamestops are each getting less than 20 units for preorder. Given the number of Wii's that will reportedly be available at launch (1million, if not 2 according to nintendo due to increased production) that seems like an awfully low preorder amount. I'm wondering if they aren't planning to have a lot more on launch, but are shorting the pre-orders so they can say "Wii sold out in one day with pre-orders" to help drive up demand and hype. I also don't think there is going to be any problem with availabilty at launch, but I was expecting more pre-orders at each store come friday.

I called the closest 4 stores to me, and totals were 36, 18, 14 and an "I don't know yet". They do seem awfully low, but then maybe EB/GS isn't getting the bulk of the orders initially. Maybe Wallyworld or BB is getting the bulk of them. Guess we won't find out till someone leaks the numbers.

AARGH!

AARGH! said:
I called the closest 4 stores to me, and totals were 36, 18, 14 and an "I don't know yet". They do seem awfully low, but then maybe EB/GS isn't getting the bulk of the orders initially. Maybe Wallyworld or BB is getting the bulk of them. Guess we won't find out till someone leaks the numbers.

AARGH!
I was told by my local GS to show up somewhere between 7 and 8. EEEP! Taking a half day off work tomorrow!

GilmourD said:
I was told by my local GS to show up somewhere between 7 and 8. EEEP! Taking a half day off work tomorrow!

What state do you live in? What time does your GS open?

Guess what? Its gonna rain tomorrow! Now why would it rain? Because Justin has to go stand outside for 2 hours THATS WHY! Son of a bitch.

Does anyone have an idea how it will be handled when the actual launch date occurs? My gamestop here in Boston is taking 32 pre-orders, I'm showing up 3 hours in advance.

So on launch day, will they only have those 32 units, and none for other people to pick up? Or will they have a limmited ammount to buy on the spot? I ask because my girlfriend wants to get one on launch day here in Boston as well, but she's away and wouldnt be able to get a pre-order in till this Sunday, by then they'll be out.

n64man120 said:
Does anyone have an idea how it will be handled when the actual launch date occurs? My gamestop here in Boston is taking 32 pre-orders, I'm showing up 3 hours in advance.

So on launch day, will they only have those 32 units, and none for other people to pick up? Or will they have a limmited ammount to buy on the spot? I ask because my girlfriend wants to get one on launch day here in Boston as well, but she's away and wouldnt be able to get a pre-order in till this Sunday, by then they'll be out.

I believe all the consoles that they are getting will go to people who preorder. But you will probably have an excellent chance getting one at best buy or wal mart on launch.

My Girl works at EB games and Wii goes on preorder tomorrow morning, Its 902pm right now and I am going to wait in front of the store.

Yay cold michigan :) It Snowed today <3

GO TIGERS

USMC2Hard4U said:
My Girl works at EB games and Wii goes on preorder tomorrow morning, Its 902pm right now and I am going to wait in front of the store.

Yay cold michigan :) It Snowed today <3

GO TIGERS

You left to go wait tonight!?

well im disappointed.. the gamestop near my house doesnt open until nine so i wont be able to preorder from there... o well i guess im just gonna try and find a store thats open 24 hours like wal-mart and camp in there for launch...

K600 said:
Why in the Hell are people going to camp for the Wii? There is not going to be a shortage for the Wii! They're expecting a million units for launch.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/735/735046p1.html

I just think of it as better safe than sorry. Cause like someone else said on this board, if I don't have a Wii Nov. 19th, im gonna be highly pissed.

When do you think they will take preorders online at ebgames/gamestop?

My friend at Davis is camping at the GS there. He said he's in the first three in line. He refused my suggestion of bringing a blanket or sleeping bag too. Crazy campers.

JustinSane said:
I just think of it as better safe than sorry. Cause like someone else said on this board, if I don't have a Wii Nov. 19th, im gonna be highly pissed.

When do you think they will take preorders online at ebgames/gamestop?

Even if you don't get it right away, Nintendo is going to restock quickly (I'd be willing to bet, weekly).

I'd be willing to bet that you could walk into Wal-Mart the morning of launch and pick one up. If I'm wrong, you guys will know (Because I'm not waiting for the Wii...camping there for the PS3, though).

nintendo has gauranteed my store weekly shipments and that we won't be out of stock for the first week, at least where I work.

About to head out to my local GS to wait in line for my Wii. Hopefully I'll be the only idiot there, lol.

Just got back, got my wii preorder. They hadd 13 units at this EB and they are out now :)

Their was 20 of us waiting. Too bad for the people who got there at 2 am lol :D

USMC2Hard4U said:
Just got back, got my wii preorder. They hadd 13 units at this EB and they are out now :)

Their was 20 of us waiting. Too bad for the people who got there at 2 am lol :D
I just got back myself. I was #9 out of 32. I got there at 7 and they opened at 10. There were a few people there that showed up at 4:30. LOL

I got at my EB at 7. 3 more showed up around 7:30 and no others showed up till 9:45. I am the first on the list! :)

my wife just preordered ours this morning at ebgames #16 of 20!! and also 5 games for it too. :) my kid is gonna be sooo happy this xmas

I was 14 out of 18 and I got there at 9:20. There were at least 10 behind me who got skunked.

I was #6 at mine. Store had 32, and he opened about 20 minutes early, and at that point was about 20 people in line. I got to the store around 8:30. Preordered Zelda and ExciteTruck, 3 controllers and an extran nunchuk. Too bad they didn't have sku's yet for the component cable and the wired adapter. Most of the people in line were actually keeping theirs, one guy was looking to sell his.

AARGH!

Man, you guys are making me nervous :p I wasn't going to bother preordering because I don't want to give my money to one store, have them not have enough, then find it elsewhere. I know I can get my money back, it's just a pain. I'm somewhat optimistic though as back when the 360 launched I could usually find them around here.

Man, just order the things online. Why bother standing in line all night? I ordered my 360 from gamestop online 2 weeks before the launch and I got mine on launch day and didn't even have to get out of my chair.

they had 32 systems available at the eb i went to, i was #7, i got there an hour before they opened and it was inside a mall so i didnt have to wait in the cold!!! but by the time i got finished doing my pre-order there were only 15 people there counting those who had gone before me... no shortages here it seems

Got back from my local GameStop a little while ago. The store had 32 consoles available for preorder, I was number #12 and my cousin was #13. We showed up in front of the store at around 9:15. I didn't bother counting, but it looked like there were about 20 people there, so there were definitely extra's available for anyone who might have been late to get to the store and preorder.

I was at my local EB @ 8:15 today (they open at 9)
They let about 15 people pre-order and I was no where near the cutoff (actually about 20 people back)

So I'll probably be picking one up at Wal-Mart at midnight on the 18th or possibly pre-ordering from FYE. I thought for sure they'd take more pre-orders considering the numbers Nintendo is shipping these units in.

With all this pre-ordering stuff at EB/Game Stop, how many units are major retailers like Target or Wal-Mart expecting to put on the shelf on launch day? At an expected 1 million units nationwide, that should be enough to satisfy the launch day crowd no?

MarvynDT said:
With all this pre-ordering stuff at EB/Game Stop, how many units are major retailers like Target or Wal-Mart expecting to put on the shelf on launch day? At an expected 1 million units nationwide, that should be enough to satisfy the launch day crowd no?

I've always have had better luck with WalMart and stores like that. They seem to get a crapload of consoles in, and nobody even thinks about going there because theyre too busy with EB and Gamestop ;D

MarvynDT said:
Yes, the 1 million+ that will be available at launch should cover it. Today is what I would call hype and marketing. Release a limited pre-order and then have the next month to say "The Wii preorder sold out in one day...have you got yours?" By making it appear in short supply to the general consumer, you drive up demand by creating a false shortage. Some people will now want one just because there is a perceived shortage - if it's selling out, it must be hot! So, launch hits, and people buy them like crazy. What will be interesting is to see how sales progress the 3-4 week after launch.

Tha being said, I still pre-ordered today. Drove by Gamestop on my way to work at 6am and there were 6 people sitting there. There were set to open at 9:30am, so I drove back again about 9 and there were 18 people in line. Called the manager and asked how many they had, to which he answered 14. I then called the EBGames in our mall out of curiosity, where they were getting 16, but only had 2 people in line at 9:10am. So, I stopped at gamestop and told the people standing out in the cold that this store had 14 total, the mall had 16 and only 2 people in line there, then left for the mall. Surprisingly, onle one person left the gamestop line and arrived at the mall after I did.

So I'm now 4th in line in the mall, while there still a line of 18+ standing in 32 degree weather at gamestop. People kept showing up, and about 9:40 the manager came out, handled out numbers to those of us in line, which was about 24 by this time, telling the last 8 they were SOL. Shortly after this, people that were at gamestop but didn't listen started coming in hoping to get in line here, but had to be told they should have listened. The guy behind me that had listened thank me again and we both got a system.

I'd rather wait with the small crowd at EB, than fight the masses at Walmart or BB on luanch day. At least here in NoVA they swarm these places here. 360 launch they were camped out the day before at 3pm. The EB where I preordered mine had a line of "mommies" hoping for a cancel. I strolled in picked mine up and went home and played.

I waited today a total of 90 minutes on a sunny day, slightly brisk in the mid 30's but no breeze so it was pleasant. Now what the weather will be a month from now, I doubt it will be this nice. I'm sure there will be plenty, but hey, why risk it?

AARGH!

I was #15 out of 23. I got there at about 8:45. There were about 30 people in line, so some of them were sent home crying! >:)

I got to the store at about 8 am, and was first in line. The store had 11 pre orders available. I was happy to get one. There was even a physical altercation after they sold out!

i got my preorder in, dunno if im gonna get one though. out gamestops dont know how many they will be getting!

im fairly certain that im in though, i was #11, and our gamestop here is very very popular.

i got zelda, trauma center, CoD 3, and an extra wiimote and nunchuck. $$++

The first Gamestop I went to had about 30 Wiis, with about 40 people waiting in line. My friend and I were a little too late though and they ran out with about 4 people in front of us and 8 or so behind us. There was then a rush to the Gamestop at the mall 5 minutes away :D

I got mine there, and saw another friend who said the GS he first went to sold out too. He actually got the last one at the mall ;)

Anyone think the remotes will be hard to find on launch? I didn't preorder an extra one and now im starting to think I shouldve.

I called my GS every day this week seeing if they had any new info, also asked them about how the PS3 prebuy thing went on tuesday, they told me when the stores were opened there were 10 people waiting in line. I asked them how many Wii's they are getting tomorrow (which is now today) and they said about 30.

So I was pondering if I should get up early, or just chance it. I had no school today so I was like what the hell. I decided to get there at 7am (opens at 10). I get there and I was the only one...kick ass!. I pulled out my chair I use when I go camping (the 10$ fold up ones) put it next to the door, whiped about my laptop and watched last samuari until...At about 830 a guy that I know from my college showed up, and I was like wow cool. Then another guy we know showed up! We were number 1, 2, 3 in the line...then at about 915 people started showing up. Once there were about 10 people at about 930, the guy inside came out and was like, "sorry we only have 7 to give out." People were mad, the extras left...and i rejoiced!

Man am I glad I showed up early. Me and the other two guys went to Frisches across the street, got hot chocolate and the breakfast bar! Was a good end to the morning, and man did that hot chocolate taste good, it was about 30degrees and slightly windy...i had on two pairs of pants, two sweatshirts, two pairs of socks, and gloves!

ps. I ended up getting the console, zelda, and extra controller/nunchuck!

w00t!

Back