Wii Outsells The Xbox 360 and PS3

HardOCP News

[H] News
Console sales numbers are out for February and the Nintendo Wii topped the competition with 335k units sold compared to 228k Xbox 360 consoles. The PS3 sold just 127k but sales of the PS2 are still very strong at 295k.

Consumers bought 335,000 Wii consoles and 127,000 of Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 consoles in February. Both systems debuted in November, and the Wii is priced at $250, compared with the $600 top-end version of the PS3. Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360, which came out in November 2005, sold 228,000 units, making it the second-biggest selling console in February.

Honda outsells Lamborghini ;)

Price vs demand.

The ps2's sales just still susprise me. Kinda funny when you old system outsells your new system by that much.

Honda outsells Lamborghini ;)

Price vs demand.

Lamborghini is a limited run, handmade vehicle of the highest standards. PS3 is a mass produced and overly expensive game console that is in stock in most places.

I think you owe an apology to the Lamborghini folks...

;)

The ps2's sales just still susprise me. Kinda funny when you old system outsells your new system by that much.

Its probally because that its cheaper to just buy a new one than to get Sony to fix an old one.

Both of my orginial run PS2s have broke in one way or another.

Lamborghini is a limited run, handmade vehicle of the highest standards. PS3 is a mass produced and overly expensive game console that is in stock in most places.

;)

I wouldn't consider it of the highest standards, I would consider it for the highest performance. I wouldn't consider it a limited run either as I'm talking about it in general (technically, all cars have "limited" runs).

High maintenance, easy to break down, expensive parts, propreitary.... I don't think I need to apologize ;) And yes, it's also overly expensive and yes it is in stock at all the Lamborghini dealerships... you are not going to have to wait for a supply burst to satisfy the demand... but they will make you believe that there is one!

No apology here :D

The Nintendo DS sold 485,000 units; outselling all the other systems :-P

I think there is a marketing reason for that, low end to eat at cheap console sales, and a high end to eat at heavy weights.

Eitherway, they are killing in thier sales... as a collective sales on consoles, they outright beat Microsoft and Nintendo... I think it's a smart move.

I just picked up a Slim PS2 the other day, they are fun machines. My original PS2's drive failed and had some other issues, so it was almost simplier going for the new Slim PS2 to replace it... and man did they make it small.

And people say Nintendo is children's play and is going out the door as a reputable name in gaming. Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

Here is the whole pictures, consoles and handhelds.

Latest NPD Sales figures for February

Nintendo DS 485,000
Wii 335,000
PlayStation 2 295,000
Xbox 360 228,000
PlayStation Portable 176,000
Game Boy Advance 136,000
PlayStation 3 127,000
GameCube 24,000
Xbox 480

If you actually factor in profit and how much each company is making off each console they sell I am sure it would show some interesting numbers.

If you actually factor in profit and how much each company is making off each console they sell I am sure it would show some interesting numbers.

I know MS is just now close to breaking even on its console so they sold 228,000 x 0 ;)
Sony sold 127,000 at a $300 loss each...ouch. Not sure what manufacturing costs / etc. etc. for Nintendo are, they keep that stuff close to the vest.

Nintendo DS 485,000
Wii 335,000
PlayStation 2 295,000
Xbox 360 228,000
Game Boy Advance 136,000
PlayStation 3 127,000
GameCube 24,000
Xbox 480

Nintendo is raking in some mad cash, 980,000 machines sold. Damn thats a lot of electronics.

Sony 598,000 systems

Microsoft 228,480 systems

Is there any game/media sales statistics per console?

I know MS is just now close to breaking even on its console so they sold 228,000 x 0 ;)
Sony sold 127,000 at a $300 loss each...ouch. Not sure what manufacturing costs / etc. etc. for Nintendo are, they keep that stuff close to the vest.

I wouldn't consider it a loss as the loss decreases per console sale... once the eol comes around and the products revenue - expenses / consoles posts a losss, then I would say it would be accurate to post a loss per console.

Yea there is really too many variables to consider losses. I was mostly just posting it for the bigger picture, because the companies while mainly depending on there next gen consoles are still heavily dependant (especially Sony) on there other devices as well.

What I can say is that Nintendo, as we know for the most part, typically tries to make a profit off of each console sold. With marketing and everything else who knows though for the Wii.

What really makes me wonder is.... if the sales of the Nintendo Wii are supply limited, what would they be like if they had a much larger supply?

Anyways, interesting stuff.

Nintendo DS 485,000
Wii 335,000
PlayStation 2 295,000
Xbox 360 228,000
Game Boy Advance 136,000
PlayStation 3 127,000
GameCube 24,000
Xbox 480

I dunno for sure on the numbers, but a few months ago I say numbers to this effect:

X360 - break even
PS3 - $300 loss
Wii - $20 (or maybe it was $25?) profit

So, numbers are:

Sony - 127,000*-300 ~= $3.8m loss
Microsoft - 228,000*0 = No console profit + Xbox Live money (almost pure profit here :p)
Nintendo - 335,000*20 = $670k profit + DS profit (which I'm sure is considerably more)

Nintendo makes a US $10-40 profit on each console sold; their manuf costs are very low for the Wii as it is very low tech in comaprison to the PS3 and Xbox. It also is extremely similar to the GC so it susing mature tech that is cheap. There was an article in a Japanese magazine that broke down all the major compnents for the Wii and their respective costs, so its fairly well known.

Sony is losing $300 on the 20GB model but it is not in stock anywhere. It loses less, about $230 on the 60GB which is the one that has predominately sold. That comes from Sony itself.

Xbox is tricky. At launch they were losing money; at this point they are making a small profit or breaking even. I've seen estiamtes ranging form losing $50 to profiting $60 on each console; data is hard to come by on Xbox production costs. Funny that, given that its using parts familiar woth PC users.

Keep in mind though, that the real profit is in games and licesning fees, so software sales tend to be more improtant to the bottom line short term wise (long term console sales are very improtant obviously as it determiens the flow of 3rd party efforts and thus fees).

Nintendo should be making an absolute killing on its VC console games; all of those games ahd their R&D written off years ago and having played a few, Nintendo did next to nothing to get them on the Wii (and eys the graphics look it too). Its pure cash for Nintneod and the license holder. On first party titles, thats cash cash cash for Nintendo; no retail splits, just the price of an upload to a consumers Wii. Ch-ching!

How do you know these "numbers" are right for profit, or how much they make/loss on each console?

Not supporting or disproving, but I have never read anywhere from any company saying how much they make on each or loss on each.

How do you know these "numbers" are right for profit, or how much they make/loss on each console?

Not supporting or disproving, but I have never read anywhere from any company saying how much they make on each or loss on each.

Agreed. There is no point in trying to guess how much they are losing or profiting. The estimated numbers are going to always be way off.

;)
handmade, too an extent I suppose, kind of like the hand made AMGs. Still find it funny people are caliing it over priced considering how much a stand alone BD or HDDVD player cost and it'll do more than just play movies. Oh well, I guess think taking a loss on a product isn't good enough.

Still find it funny people are caliing it over priced considering how much a stand alone BD or HDDVD player cost and it'll do more than just play movies.

...and if the Blu-ray standard bites it? I'll be stuck with a $600 console (+cables, since it shipped with a composite cable) that plays a disc standard that lost. Ouch. Anyhow, the sales numbers are a direct reflection of the price.

...and if the Blu-ray standard bites it? I'll be stuck with a $600 console (+cables, since it shipped with a composite cable) that plays a disc standard that lost. Ouch. Anyhow, the sales numbers are a direct reflection of the price.

Thats too big of an IF. Almost as if you are calling the shots which is going to stay and which isn't.

Same can be said about the Microsoft Xbox360 with HDDVD addon... what if it bites the dust? You'd have HDDVD's and a fancy external device you can't do anything with?

It's not like Sony is the only company using proprietary game technologies only exclusive to their console.

Thats too big of an IF. Almost as if you are calling the shots which is going to stay and which isn't.

Same can be said about the Microsoft Xbox360 with HDDVD addon... what if it bites the dust? You'd have HDDVD's and a fancy external device you can't do anything with?

It's not like Sony is the only company using proprietary game technologies only exclusive to their console.

The answer to this is that the HD DVD add on is optional.

Since we are talking about sales.

How many people here (other than me) think that the PS3 will out sell the 360 when all is said and done?

Most people feel that in the end the PS3 will come out in first. But that is going to take a long time the PS3 has to prove its ability to the world, but it does look promising for the PS3 with it's cool online crap and that bad ass looking create your own world game.

I'm not getting a ps3 until it has at least 5 games I want on it, and I think a lot of other people are doing similar type things like waiting for games or price drop. When it gets better games and a price drop the sells are going to go up a ton, I think sony knows that because they keep on shipping PS3's even though nobody is buying them.

The answer to this is that the HD DVD add on is optional.

To comback to your awnser, I stated that it was an addon ;)

It's still an addon that costs money. It's basically the same thing, it's a feature you pay money for but there is no clear winner yet.

I think everyone is doing the same thing for the Playstation 3, waiting it out for new games and a price drop. For Sony's sake, hopefully that won't take too long. If it does, it won't be good for them.

I have a PS3 and these numbers make me laugh because they are horrible!!! I've wasted more money $600 on shit I don't have though, and I don't think anyone can reasonably think the PS3 is going the way of the dreamcast etc. In the end it's about the price. Anectdotal evidence I have so many friends who were going to buy the PS3 until they saw the price. But they didn't run out and grab an Xbox 360 ("Man Xbox don't have any games") it's a perpetuated misconception for those that don't frequent gaming sites etc. They're just waiting it out.

My co-worker wanted two PS3's for Xmas gifts. I told her the price and the availability (not much at that time) she said forget it, bought two PS2's instead. She just asked me last week in a joking manner 'Does the PS3 still cost $1 million dollars." With Sony's name brand and customer loyalty to Sony (how else did they survive all these years in electronics with their craptastic and overpriced electronics until the Bravia line of LCDs) it's all about the price. Does anyone disagree that people will pay more for the Sony name then other brands? But only up to a point. $600 is rich.

To comback to your awnser, I stated that it was an addon ;)

It's still an addon that costs money. It's basically the same thing, it's a feature you pay money for but there is no clear winner yet.

But it's an add-on you don't have to buy, you get locked in whether you like it or not with Sony. Without the BD drive and price drop, how many more consoles you think they would have sold? The demand for HD media isn't enough for the mass market to stomach the price tag for a BD/Game Console. Sony got greedy, and is paying for it considerably.

But it's an add-on you don't have to buy, you get locked in whether you like it or not with Sony. Without the BD drive and price drop, how many more consoles you think they would have sold? The demand for HD media isn't enough for the mass market to stomach the price tag for a BD/Game Console. Sony got greedy, and is paying for it considerably.

You don't have to buy PS3 either... I was using the argument that any media technology that is being competed for can drop, you are still out of the money that you paid extra for that technology.

The xbox is what? $400? External drive is 200 or less... thats $600 right there for the same functionality of being able to enjoy HD content.... either way, if either fails, you are going to be out of hardware... If blueray movies fail, then consider that you have a $400 console like the xbox then.

NPD data is SO worthless. Without Walmart, it only reports around 35-40% of all sales. Walmart accounts for around 55-60% of Video Games and console sales.....

Opps...had that reversed. Wal-mart is 35-40% and NPD reports only 60%-65%. I will have to find the link. But without Wal-mart, u cant tell which console is really leading.

Opps...had that reversed. Wal-mart is 35-40% and NPD reports only 60%-65%. I will have to find the link. But without Wal-mart, u cant tell which console is really leading.

I don't doubt the order, the numbers may change but I think the ratio would be about the same. Wii is selling very well even though it can still be hard to find, and the 360 is doing better than the PS3.

It's not over priced it's just too expensive. You get a ton of crap with the system so you get what you pay for but a lot of people don't want what you get. And the PS3 bad press doesn't help it either. But I'm sure in a few months it's sales should pick up spring time is the slowest video game season.

Back