Wii News Channel Launched

malingjc

[H]ard|Gawd
Update came in this morning. I didn't try it yet, since it wasn't done updating by the time I left for work.

Why arent Nintendo concentrating on Games like they always bang on about instead of this shit? Theres fuck all news for us to look at in the news channel in the UK region. Now get me some more games that make use of the remote please.

"NINTENDOS ALL ABOUT THE GAMES!".......Not anymore! :p

Because this was supposed to be brought out when it was launched. They delayed it to work on those 'games that use the remote'.

I really like the news channel...specifically the slideshow functionality. I think it's nice to have since my Wii is at the foot of my bed, so before I get up to leave in the morning I can check out the news.

All in all a nice little bonus, but nothing jaw-dropping.

I really like the news channel...specifically the slideshow functionality. I think it's nice to have since my Wii is at the foot of my bed, so before I get up to leave in the morning I can check out the news.

All in all a nice little bonus, but nothing jaw-dropping.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I think it'll be nice to put on in the morning while feeding the cats, packing my gym bag, etc.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think it'll be nice to put on in the morning while feeding the cats, packing my gym bag, etc.

But would be shit if it were on the PS3 as Sony are the 'Jack of all trades, master of none'......

Seems the Wii is branching out from the proposed 'games console only' BS Nintendo spouted.

But would be shit if it were on the PS3 as Sony are the 'Jack of all trades, master of none'......

I think it would be neat on the PS3 as well.

There are people harshly criticizing everything about the PS3. There are people praising everything about the Wii.

These people are not necessarily the same people.

That wasn't aimed at you mate, it is just the general 'vibe' of this forum. The PS3 does something it's shit, the Wii does the very same thing and all of a sudden it's the dog's bollocks.

im sure the ps3 will have an rss reader like the psp soon

That wasn't aimed at you mate, it is just the general 'vibe' of this forum. The PS3 does something it's shit, the Wii does the very same thing and all of a sudden it's the dog's bollocks.

Can you give an example where the PS3 has done something where the consensus is that it's shit, and the Wii has done the same thing but it's "the dog's bollocks"?

BTW, wtf is the dog's bollocks?!

The web browser. I wasn't too fond of it on my PSP, but I like it on my Wii. Why? Becuause I can point and type on a keyboard instead of having to use stupid joysticks.

Yeah, I woke up this morning to see a strange blue light pulsing off of my ceiling. At first I thought it was my Razer Copperhead, but it turned out to be the Wii telling me an update was available. :)

Can you give an example where the PS3 has done something where the consensus is that it's shit, and the Wii has done the same thing but it's "the dog's bollocks"?

Apparently, you have never seen the movie Formula 51. The guy is from the UK where they use the word bollocks as reference to "shit". Dogs bollocks means its the shit, where just bollocks means "SHIT" or in this reference would mean its a POS.

Chicken Bollocks anyone!!

Sure:
PS3 Games: Very Good Probably get even better (Classed as Shit and not innovative by many die hard Nintendo Fans)

Wii Games: Very Good, New Style of play, Good party Games, Gets all age groups interested. Keeps You active!

PS3 Web browser: Can be used with the remote, sixaxis, wired/wireless keyboard and mouse and has support for 480p-1080p.

Wii Web Browser: considered the dogs bollocks as you can use it with the wiimote to point and click keys on screen :rolleyes: and its viewable in 480i/p:rolleyes:

PS3 Photo Viewer: jpeg, gif, png and tiff, Excellent on the PS3 for viewing high quality Images from 480i-1080p (if u have a tv capable), Store many gigabytes of photos on your ps3 hard drive.

Wii Photo Viewer: Jpeg only,View your photos in 480i/p from your sd card if your camera supports that type of card.

PS3 Movie Playback: Bluray, DVDs, MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (PS,TS), H.264/MEPG-4 AVC, MPEG-4 SP.

Wii Movie Playback: AVI files encoded as motion JPEG, I havent tried this so cannot comment on quality.

PS3 Music Playback: ATRAC (.oma .msa .aa3), AAC (.3gp .mp4), MP3 (.mp3), WAV (.wav) Excellent for ripping music and music playback with good visualisations.

Wii Music Playback: Mp3 Only (again i havent bothered trying this)

That enough evidence for you? The same thing happened with the PSP/DS. Not aiming at everyone that supports nintendo, just the majority on this forum, that say its all about the games etc like tigerblade said above.

BTW what does shag mean overseas?

I don't understand your post at all. I'm not sure you directly tried to answer my question.

Which of those features was mostly praised on the Wii but mostly derided on the PS3? I don't want a feature by feature comparison of the consoles..

And "shag" means "fuck" thanks to Austin Powers. Previously it referred to a shag carpet. It still does, but it's common slang.

Apparently, you have never seen the movie Formula 51. The guy is from the UK where they use the word bollocks as reference to "shit". Dogs bollocks means its the shit, where just bollocks means "SHIT" or in this reference would mean its a POS.

Chicken Bollocks anyone!!

Nah, try 'the mutt's nut's' :D

It's pretty nice. I like the piles of news articles on the globe. I just keep getting more and more for my $250. :)

Well, one thread I remember was the PS3's Yellow Dog Linux. Most of the people in the thread was bashing it even though it is...free and optional.

(EDITED TO KEEP QUOTE SHORT)
That enough evidence for you? The same thing happened with the PSP/DS. Not aiming at everyone that supports nintendo, just the majority on this forum, that say its all about the games etc like tigerblade said above.

I think the main issue is that the PS3's marketing and $600 image purported itself to be the best multimedia device ever which could handle anything and everything. The Wii however is mainly a gaming machine, with very basic web browsing and things like weather information and AP news.

So when people look at the PS3 and its capabilities, they're probably comparing it to the more mature (software-wise) 360, or a PC (since the prices certainly line up), so simple things like no background downloading become larger sticking points.

With the Wii nobody purchased it to do any of these things; therefore all these little additions are nice, but not necessary. I probably will end up using the News Channel quite often, just because the presentation is well thought out and easy to navigate, but the Internet Channel probably won't ever get much use except when it's convenient (my PC is in the same room, so I don't see the point).

So yeah, I agree with you that there are a lot of people who don't like the PS3 or Sony as a company, but bash them unfairly; I think that Sony made many mistakes with the PS3, but things like Linux capability (which isn't necessary, and certainly isn't a main reason people bought the PS3) are cool extras which just buffer the value a little.

Well, after playing with it for a few minutes, I have one thing to say:

*Yawn*

I want games, not useless crap that is better suited for one of my computers. But as far as useless features go, it is rather well implemented. The map and fadeback menu bar are nice.

I wouldn't mind it except for their liberal bias! We need alternate sources of news or the kids will grow up worshiping Satan.

Ummm, why would you need the Wii to show you the news when there are over 10 cable channels already doing it ? Seems pretty useless to me.
And in the mornings that 10 turns into 30 with all the morning shows and what not.

But, I guess its a cool useless feature?

Just another free thing the wii gives that you can take if you want. They didn't charge extra for this tidbit. It's not like the PS3... it says it has backwards compatibility, but find piss poor PS2 support (360 not any better either). It finally got "fixed" a few days ago but it's the "out of the box" feeling that it was "incomplete" when I started using it that bothers me.

From the get go, the Wii feels pretty solid, those 3 channels, internet, weather, and news were things I didn't really care for, but don't mind having either. I like the VC a lot and while the games are slowly trickling out, it's given me crap loads of game time as compared to the PS3. GTHD being the only thing that hooked me for any significant amount of time.

I think it's pointless. Have all the news ya want right where you're at reading tihs: The internet.

You also have the wii hoocked up to your television... CNN people.

edit: if it were portable it'd make sense.

I wouldn't mind it except for their liberal bias! We need alternate sources of news or the kids will grow up worshiping Satan.

I haven't read the new articles much.. but does it really have a liberal bias? LOL!!!!

i won't be surprise if peopel start to boycott nintendo when they start to believe that it has either a right wing or left wing bias..

Nah, I was kidding. The news was just pretty basic stuff from Reuters-type sources. I actually turned my Wii-Connect off just because I'm using wireless and it occasionally pops on and eats my bandwidth while I'm playing Street Fighter. I figure all it really does in stream the weather and the news, so I don't need it on.
I won't use the whole news thing, but it's cool that it's there. It's just like I don't need the weather report or internet either...but I guess maybe someone does.

Back