Wii Doubles PS3 Numbers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Despite launching three weeks after the PS3, the Nintendo Wii looks to have doubled the amount of consoles shipped by Sony. Oddly enough, you can find PS3s for sale in stores but nary a Wii to be found anywhere. Official numbers for North America should be out on Thursday.

Nintendo introduced the Wii in Japan on Dec. 2 and had a target of shipping 1 million units in that market by year end. Sony started selling the latest version of its blockbuster game console in Japan on Nov. 11 and had also stated plans to ship 1 million units in Japan by the end of December.

this doesn't suprise me at all. All the local stores for me now carry PS3s and usually have at least 4 or 5 on the shelf however they are sold out of Wii's for weeks

Yeah....I went to CC, BB, Walmart, and Target last weekend. Guess what, no PS3s or Wiis. I did find one PS3 at a blockbuster, but that was it. I live in the Atlanta area if that helps. I keep hearing about how easy it is to find a PS3 and how they are just sitting on shelves, but I haven't seen it. Hell, even Kotaku had an article which said that most places were selling out of the returned PS3s, from failed eBayers, that same day.

yeppp, most places around me have atleast 3-4 ps3's instock

I can walk into just about any store in my town and just buy a PS3 right off the shelf (and there'd still be plenty to spare). Wiis? HA! Yeah right... Hell, I can't even find any Wiimotes, let alone the console itself!

The local frys had a ton of PS3's sitting in a display area, but suprisingly nobody was around them. I asked one of the sales guys how they were selling and he just shook his said. Then I looked over at the Wii display area and there were at least 5 or 6 people watching somebody play the game and their were no systems on the shelves at all. So I guess this stat is not very suprising

Well, in my area, there is absolutely nothing. There were 3 returned PS3s in the last month but I missed two and one was a defect / repair return and not for sale.

Soon enough they will be in stock or you will catch it at the right time.

At the Fry's in Irving my bro-in-law says that they had 60 PS3's and zero Wii's in stock.

This is like saying the number of corvette sales this quarter exceeds lamborghini sales.

Well duh! It's more than twice the price.

Yeah....I went to CC, BB, Walmart, and Target last weekend. Guess what, no PS3s or Wiis. I did find one PS3 at a blockbuster, but that was it. I live in the Atlanta area if that helps. I keep hearing about how easy it is to find a PS3 and how they are just sitting on shelves, but I haven't seen it. Hell, even Kotaku had an article which said that most places were selling out of the returned PS3s, from failed eBayers, that same day.

I live in Alpharetta just North of Atlanta and I was told the Fry's up here had 100+ units on the floor with passerbys showing little or no interest. I can't personally confirm this as I haven't been there since its 'soft' opening but if you're looking in this area I would start there.

Down in Oz you can pick up Wiis pretty bloody easily; of course PS3 isn't released here for another 2 months......

I was fortunate enough to pick up both systems near launch at retail. Personally, Im not that thrilled with the Wii. Its a decent system and I like Elebits, but the hype is prepostrous and its getting really irritating (its approaching Apple level irritating).

Also, Id love for people to post some photos of these 100+ stacks of PS3s "sitting around". Personally I think its complete BS until I see a photo. Neither system has been available at all short of getting lucky in the NE. If these tales of "100+ stacks of PS3s" *are* BS, thats really just pathetic.

Forgot to add... The title of this "news story" and so many like it basically proves out the clear media bias towards the Wii. Nintendo SHIPPED MORE CONSOLES, so of course they "doubled the PS3 numbers". Is it technically a true statement? Sure... But come on... How much more spin can they put around these "stories"?

Nintendo shipped more consoles, and more of their consoles are gone. Is that a bias? Browsing around gamestop today I saw 3 different people ask for a Wii, while there were 2 PS3's in stock.

I'd say the main factor is price, Wii's are cheaper, therefore people buy it.

I dont know why this is happening. My personal experience with the Wii was horrible. I guess im not smart enough to use the controller properly.

But it's clear that the Nintendo's strategy is working pretty well, no need for you PS3 lovers to go up in arms.

Forgot to add... The title of this "news story" and so many like it basically proves out the clear media bias towards the Wii. Nintendo SHIPPED MORE CONSOLES, so of course they "doubled the PS3 numbers". Is it technically a true statement? Sure... But come on... How much more spin can they put around these "stories"?

A co-workers boy friend offered me a PS3 cause he couldn't sell it on ebay. Was asking the retail price too. I turned it down. He brought it back to Best Buy. Nuff said.

I got the Wii 2 weeks before X-mas from Costco. A bundle package worth $370. Yeah the graphics aren't amazing but at least my ass isn't getting fat like the suckers that bought PS3.

Oh, and I have the PS2 as well.

A co-workers boy friend offered me a PS3 cause he couldn't sell it on ebay. Was asking the retail price too. I turned it down. He brought it back to Best Buy. Nuff said.

I got the Wii 2 weeks before X-mas from Costco. A bundle package worth $370. Yeah the graphics aren't amazing but at least my ass isn't getting fat like the suckers that bought PS3.

Oh, and I have the PS2 as well.

Who wants to buy a console from a private individual when they can buy it at the store for the same price.... seriously...

People bought a lot of these consoles hoping to make a quick buck, and they got burned. Buyers are smarter than that, no one in their right mind is going to pay few hundred more when they can get it at the store.

So flinging your arms around makes you fit and not fat like the PS3? How about you look at it in this way, a PS3 costs more, meaning you have to work more to buy the console, so thus it makes you "fitter" as you are not fully physically active to obtain the money?

Nintendo shipped more consoles, and more of their consoles are gone. Is that a bias? Browsing around gamestop today I saw 3 different people ask for a Wii, while there were 2 PS3's in stock..

Curious as if you knew if they were 20gb versions or 60gb versions.

20GB versions are dusting on the shelf, however, 60gb versions still cant be maintained in stock.

In St louis I have seen a minimum of 3 60 gig PS3 at Walmart, best buy and target. Very easy to find here. Wii are no where though.

Curious as if you knew if they were 20gb versions or 60gb versions.

20GB versions are dusting on the shelf, however, 60gb versions still cant be maintained in stock.

I believe they were cheaper ones, so probably the 20 gigs.

the things stopping me from getting a ps3 are price and games. its just too much money to spend for something that doesnt have much going for it as far as games go. most of the games it has that i care to play are on 360 which i own already. and as for blue ray, thats not really a selling point to me because i dont watch movies often. im guessing this is how a lot of people feel.

at least with the wii its something kinda different. and the price sells a lot of people. but like it was mentioned earlier, the hype over the system is a bit much. i went through the airport with mine and each time the bag checkers thought it was so cool that i had one...its a good system. but its not great.

Who wants to buy a console from a private individual when they can buy it at the store for the same price.... seriously...

People bought a lot of these consoles hoping to make a quick buck, and they got burned. Buyers are smarter than that, no one in their right mind is going to pay few hundred more when they can get it at the store.

So flinging your arms around makes you fit and not fat like the PS3? How about you look at it in this way, a PS3 costs more, meaning you have to work more to buy the console, so thus it makes you "fitter" as you are not fully physically active to obtain the money?

Either that or makes you so broke that you can't afford food.

Not surprised. The Wii is usually never in stock online or in the stores. Oh well :)

Back