wifi to ethernet...does such a device exist?

twelveparsex

[H]F Junkie
my parents have a samsung tv with internet capabilities and i built them an htpc; the only problem is the TV is against an exterior wall and running ethernet to the living room from the office is going to be quite an endeavor i don't want to hassle with (i'm only gonna be home for a week or so)...the best route is wifi...so does such a device exist that will allow me to turn a wifi signal to ethernet?

Powerline works if you have no other option, but the units I have tried are all slower than a decent wireless connection in real world testing.

Im sure there are other devices out there that work great but we have used Airport Express base stations to do wireless bridging for employees and their voip phones. setup is simple and they work great.

DD-WRT can do this as well. So a cheap router & DD-WRT would be awesome.

wait a minute, the hdtv has internet capabilities, but you built them an htpc

so the internet capabilities of the HDTV are worthless mostly, but you want to connect the HTPC to the HDTV wirelessly. For this you do not want networking, you want something like a wireless HDMI transmitter.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=4PjKTs6OHMySgQeWxuTRDQ&ved=0CHcQ8wIwAA

only limitation I have seen is they are limited to 720p, which honestly you would never know the difference for HTPC use anyways. We use them at work frequently, they work well, it's literally like having the pc connected to the HDMI port on the back of the HDTV without the cable.

Wait I'm confused what are you trying to do exactly?
You can get this for the tv:
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-accessories/WIS09ABGNX/XAA

and a standard wifi card for the HTPC and be done with it. (well and get a wifi router if you don't have one already.)

it's really just for the htpc; there aren't any slots available on the htpc but if i can get a wifi bridge cheaper than a wifi dongle i'll just do that; otherwise i'll do the bridge

Back