Wifi streaming via SD?

forkedt

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to find out if this is even possible, let alone how it's done:

Is there a wifi sd card (or device that fits an SD slot) which can stream data from a device? I've seen the Eye-Fi however it appears to steam the data after recording. However I'm looking to stream data through the connection directly to a pc...

Thanks!

Is this for a camera? Eye-Fi is the only company making anything like that.

You can get SDIO wifi cards, but they'll really only work with PDAs and not things like cameras. You would need some software on the PDA to take advantage of it as well.

Whether the card will do streaming during shooting or transfer after shooting is not a feature of the wi-fi card, it's a feature of the software on the device in which you installed the wi-fi card. The wi-fi card merely provides the network transport for the data stream. It has no idea whether the data stream is coming from a live camera sensor, or a file already saved onto a storage medium.

If you're talking about a digital camera, then if it's a camera with such live streaming capability over wi-fi, I'm sure it would be a very prominently promoted feature of that camera. It wouldn't be some obscure hidden technicality. In other words, the fact that you're not even aware of the possibility would probably be enough proof that it's not there.

If you're talking about a PDA, it's just a matter of finding and installing the software to do it. I know of at least a couple of software applications that allow live streaming of video from Windows Mobile devices.

Back