Wifi router recommendation

Rhodan

n00b
Hi all,

I'm wanting to buy a new wifi router and was looking at either the NetGear R7000 or the Asus RT-AC68U.

Thoughts?

I just got an ASUS refurbished AC68R from Newegg for $154 BT and am very happy with it. There is custom firmware out that fixes some of the minor flaws but throughput is great even to N devices.

since you're interested in AC routers, I'd consider the Linksys EA6900 (I dislike appliances that require reboots for simple changes to settings) - it's been absolutely solid and a great performer.

The Asus is pretty good but I'd consider the Apple AirPort Extreme. I use it as my AP only (use a Cisco as my router) and the range is crazy although using it as a router as well was excellent.

Not to troll...but did you bother looking at the Recommended Router Thread with 67 pages of that same question?

It's stickied in the Networking & Security section where you created this thread.

Not to troll...but did you bother looking at the Recommended Router Thread with 67 pages of that same question?

It's stickied in the Networking & Security section where you created this thread.

What is "reading" you speak off? :p

^ This.

Also, what do you need an AC1900 router for? Do you have AC adapters throughout your house? Do you need that much speed on the wireless?

You can check out small net builder. They have rankings on various networking devices including wireless routers and even break them down by various categories. It looks like the RT-AC68U has better 5Ghz than the R7000, but the R7000 might be a little better all around. That said, there are many people out there tinkering with the ASUS routers and firmware and getting more out of it.

Personally I have an ASUS RT-N66U which has been outstanding for me.

Last edited:
Back