WiFi Options: Interferance

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
I live in a high rise an urban area, so there are a lot of residences within 500ft. There are over 600 units in my building.Problem is everyone has their own wifi through ATT or TWC, etc. so there is a lot of interference and competition for channel space. Basically if I walk out of my front door and into the hallway i have a hard time getting a good signal on my WiFi.

So like any good american would do, I need to buy a new setup that is bigger/better than the other guys.Right now I have a Dlink DIR-625 running my setup. Was thinking about grabbing a Unifi AP as I really like that stuff, but not sure if its really useful for a single instance AP and not sure if it will really solve my issue.

Thoughts?

You should see what you can do with moving over the 5GHz, Most people don't use that frequency yet.

Yup, 5GHz is the answer. Only other way is to use inSSIDer to check for widest open channel. Anything else is illegal, like higher gain antennas, replacing firmware to allow more transmit power, or using world-wide channels(12-14).

Back