Wifi for 200 systems

thehacker

n00b
Hi

We need to set up a wifi system on an urgent basis for our college's auditorium.

We are expecting around 200~ systems to be supported.

Could you please give a solution for what hardware is needed for this?

This wifi system will be connected to the college LAN..

Thanks a lot.
Shubhangam

Hi

We need to set up a wifi system on an urgent basis for our college's auditorium.

We are expecting around 200~ systems to be supported.

Could you please give a solution for what hardware is needed for this?

This wifi system will be connected to the college LAN..

Thanks a lot.
Shubhangam

What's your budget? It this going to be temporary or permanent?

I use a combo of Unifi for small user groups (currently have 48 access points installed all over my facility) and Xirrus arrays for larger pools of users.

The Xirrus arrays are very nice products. I have 2 of the XN8's deployed in an Education Building and they support 1024 users each. Each array has 8 radios and 16 antenna's. They are about the size of a drop tile. The contain tons of features (most of which i don't even use).

Xirrus = http://www.xirrus.com/

The folks there are great to work with. They will come do a sight visit to determine which array will best fit your needs.

Hi,

I use in Portugal Motorola RFS 4000, 6000 and 7000 in our installations, for some time and we never had problems with this equipment. We have one big customer (Retail distribution) with RFS7000 working with 300 AP's, and 2700 users in 8 hours shift.

The RFS 4000 is able to manage 200 simultaneous users, RFS6000 400 users and RFS 7000 4000 users.

Motorola:

http://www.motorola.com/web/Busines...ation/Static Files/Lewis University FINAL.pdf

http://www.motorola.com/web/Busines..._Documents/_static files/San Marino FINAL.pdf

If under budget constraints I would do the UNIFI setup. They are nice, I pre-wired my new house to have 3 of them on my ceilings using PoE.

Personally, for larger deployments I like Cisco w/NCS. If this is education then you can probably get a substantial discount from a cisco sales rep on any of the WAP's and software.

I would definitely check out the Ubiquity Unifi items though, they are just AWESOME for the price. Best bang for the buck imo

We use the Aruba system and it's great. Haven't had 200 clients in *that* dense of an environment, but have had over 50 on one AP before without issue.

It's under a REALLY tight budget and/or time constraint, Ubiquiti UNIFI. Other wise, definately Aruba. Aruba typically performs better than Cisco both under load and with outside interferance.

If under budget constraints I would do the UNIFI setup. They are nice, I pre-wired my new house to have 3 of them on my ceilings using PoE.

Personally, for larger deployments I like Cisco w/NCS. If this is education then you can probably get a substantial discount from a cisco sales rep on any of the WAP's and software.

I would definitely check out the Ubiquity Unifi items though, they are just AWESOME for the price. Best bang for the buck imo

"poe"

make sure you get the unifi pro if you want real poe...

i love ubnt but sometimes they just do some stupid stuff...

"poe"

make sure you get the unifi pro if you want real poe...

i love ubnt but sometimes they just do some stupid stuff...

I wouldn't care about having to use the injectors at home but having 40 or 50 of them in one closet makes a real mess.

Definitely get the Unifi pro ap's if you go the ubiquiti route.

Well, you can get their POE adapters, that steps down traditional 48v POE to their 16v spec for about $20/ea. They look like an old school inline DSL filter. But, agreed. Why they ever did anything other than standard POE is wacky...

Last edited:
Motorola RFS4000 and RFS6000 already have 5 and 8 POE ports respectively, and compare with Cisco, Xirrus, Arruba, etc, the performance of Motorola Wireless Switches are better.
The RFS4000 and RFs6000 are fully integrated 802.11n wireless services controller, 802.11n access point, wired switch with 5 and 8 POE ports respectively rolled into one, with IPSEC VPN/firewall/WIPS security, RADIUS & DHCP server, location & RFID engines, 3G failover to backhaul WAN traffic when the primary WAN Link fails.

Hi people,

Thanks for all the replies.

I will be checking out the products you all have recommended and get back if I have any doubts..

The budget is max 1800 USD I would think...

The setup will be such that it will be kind of permanent but used only sporadically throughout the year..

We just need to enable wifi for students in the auditorium when some event is taking place.

1 issue which I forgot to mention is that this is based in India, where all products may not be available, I will check out availability of all the recommendations. Also speed of setup is also paramount, as this was needed yesterday :) (like most other networks I guess)

edit:
Another thing is the density of the nodes.. how many APs (for the ubiquity system) would I need approximately? Primary reading indicated atleast 1 AP for 20 systems, will 10 APs function in that dense of an environment?

edit2:
Audi I am talking about is 50m x 30m

Last edited:
Back