Wifi connection manager for Linux?

maxpower1119

Limp Gawd
I just started using Linux today, and after much effort I was able to get my broadcom wireless card to work using ndiswrapper. I am useing Fedora Core 4 and the program it came with to use to connect to wireless networks is KWifiManager. I cant seem to get it to connect to different networks. It just automatically connects to one and wont let me connect to others. It scans and finds them, but no connecty. I tried to download some other tools (getwifi, and one other) and I couldnt even figure out how to install them. Please help me, Im a Linux noob.

I've been using Kinternet on Suse 9.3 & 10.0. Let's you scan, choose, and connect. Not sure if any of that translates over to Fedora Core 4 but you might give it a look.

FWIW....

If you feel like editing config files(easiest way to accomplish this, imo), add this line to your /etc/conf.d/wireless(or /etc/conf.d/net):
Code:
essid_wlan0="foobar"
Of course, replace wlan0 with the appropriate adapter and foobar with the essid of the ap you want to connect to. If there are multiple routers with the same essid, or if you'd just rather specify the ap by mac address, you can use the following line:
Code:
iwconfig_wlan0="macofap"
This is assuming, however, that you are using wirelesstools(iwconfig and such) to configure your wireless adapter rather than wpa_supplicant or something like that.
If you want a list of APs, use the command 'iwlist scan'.

Back