Wifi Can see router, but can't connect to internet. Help!

Komataguri

2[H]4U
I'm running static internal IPs, with DHCP off.

The router is a Wireless B/G Netgear WGR614v5.

The client computer is a Win98 machine connecting with a USB1.1 Linksys 802.11b dongle.

I can ping that computer, I can ping inside the network from that computer, I can access and log into the router.

But I can't access the internet.

I've quadroople checked, the SSID/ WEP key [128bit] and everything match.

I'm dumbfounded, I've tried rebooting the entire network, rebooting that PC repeatedly, tried connecting without WEP, tried just about everything I can think off....but that system can not see the internet.

The router IS connected to the internet through a Webstar Cable Modem, because...as its kinda obvious, I'm typing and posting this from behind both of them at this moment.

The person who owns the other computer is going to hurt me if I don't get their net running [ Its been down since magic smoke came of the last gateway yesterday, So they ain't been able to check important shit since hten ]

Just a quick thought here. Is the country set, some ap's won't work right untill you select what country your located in. ie USA.

Another thought would be try switching to dhcp and see that works.

whodang said:
Just a quick thought here. Is the country set, some ap's won't work right untill you select what country your located in. ie USA.

Yes, its set ;)

Great. the asshole's come home and is right behind me bitching about it not working.

This is got to be an easy fix I'm missing..

Yes, when I say asshole behind me, I'm talking about you. I know your watching me type this, suck it up and wait.

You need to define your default gateway. The default gateway should be the IP of your router.

Also you have to define a DNS server. If you use DHCP on the router it will take care of this for you automatically, you might want to enable DHCP, use that and get these values and then just cut and paste them into a manual config.

Canon said:
You need to define your default gateway. The default gateway should be the IP of your router.

Also you have to define a DNS server. If you use DHCP on the router it will take care of this for you automatically, you might want to enable DHCP, use that and get these values and then just cut and paste them into a manual config.

I've already done that.

Save for the IP of course, the settings are the same from this PC as they are on the other.

DNS, Gateway, ect.

like i said, it connects to the router, and the network fine.....i jus wont go out to the net

Yeah, you can stop worry about wep. If you can ping and get to the router admin interface then WEP is not an issue.

Try pinging www.google.com I'd assume that won't work. If not ping the ip of google. 63.233.161.147 If that works then it's name resolution, DNS. If not then you have an issue with something blocking IMCP and possibly all outgoing traffic. A firewall. If you can ping the name google by name and it works then it's a problem with a browser or whatever else your using as your source for the statment the internet isn't working.

I never said the internet was not working.

I meerly stated that the Wifi client PC was not able to go out beyond the router.

and, I think I've fixed it. :eek:

Its accessing web, and everything.

I ditched the Linksys software that used for configuring the connection with the USB dongle, and rebuilt it from scratch with Windows 98, Everything had to be set to a specific figure [I.E. No Automatic or Detection, It had to be specified precisely ]

Don't know why this routers was being more bitchy about Auto and Detection then the previous ones I've had, but blah...its working, I don't care.

"I never said the internet was not working.
I meerly stated that the Wifi client PC was not able to go out beyond the router."

That's like saying I didn't say the sky is blue but um, the sky is blue. lol

If you can't get beyond your router then the internet wasn't working, pure and simple. Glad you got it going.

ktwebb said:
"I never said the internet was not working.
I meerly stated that the Wifi client PC was not able to go out beyond the router."

That's like saying I didn't say the sky is blue but um, the sky is blue. lol

If you can't get beyond your router then the internet wasn't working, pure and simple. Glad you got it going.

My Wired systems COULD get past the router tho.

So a broad statement like the internet is not working isn't suitable, It was meerly a single client that wasn't able to get past the router.

Komataguri said:
My Wired systems COULD get past the router tho.

So a broad statement like the internet is not working isn't suitable, It was meerly a single client that wasn't able to get past the router.

i have had problems like this in the bast... its a bitch beause you never know what it could be... sometimes its the simple things that get ya :p
anyway glad to see you got it working

-(Xyphox)- said:
i have had problems like this in the bast... its a bitch beause you never know what it could be... sometimes its the simple things that get ya :p
anyway glad to see you got it working

Oh man, if you think this is a bitch, you should have seen what I went through before my previous router exploded with magic blue smoke.

Every time the power would go out [ until this last time, Shitty Netgear bastard child of a cable modem and a hub ] I would have to restore the gateway to factory defaults, reinstall my ethernet drivers, unplug and replug the cables, unplug the gateway, and rebuild all my SSID and WEP information, as well as turn the DCHP off again.

T'was the only way for the damn thing to let me online after a power out, until it finally 'sploded.

Now that, is a bitch! ;) ;)

EDIT

I think there is something wrong with those Netgear Wireless Gateway Cable Modem/Hub hybrids. They run so damn hot you get blisters from touching them, and I talked to the tech from the ISP and they have had nothing but problems with htem. Makes you wonder why they keep giving them out.

Back