WiFi Bridge for Heavy Net/Gaming?

Mr. Stryker

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently bought an EnGenius AC 1200 router. My computer is about 40 feet away from where the modem is. (Cable, Ubee DVW3201B in dummy mode) the 85mbps Netgear power line ethernet adapters are shit. (Ping times out every 5 minutes, causing me to disconnect during WoW raids. I also do a lot of 1080p streaming on Twitch.tv. so I decided to try wireless this time. I have a switch hooked up to the second powerline adapter so I'm asking you to make a recommendation for a wireless bridge to be used in my room with the computer and other stuff that uses ethernet connectivity. I know wireless isn't recommended but it's going to be a hell lot better than my PoE connection. I live in a 1 floor apartment and I can see the router from where I'm sitting so I would probably be getting a direct connection without having to go through walls or stuff.. Sorry for my spelling or grammar, I'm in my car typing on my phone while waiting for my girlfriend to finish shipping for food.

So, lemme get this straight:

You have a cable modem (DVW3201B) for I assume TW service, which itself is a router (which you're running without NAT). Which is peachy.

Plugged into that is this.

So wouldn't you just need either a PCI or PCI-E wifi card for your PC (assuming it's not a laptop)?

Where does the necessity of a bridge come into play?

*Oops, I missed this part...

to be used in my room with the computer and other stuff that uses ethernet connectivity

Since it's my experience that anything labeled as a bridge costs more than a router for some insane reason, I'd just say get another wireless router that supports bridge mode and roll with it from there :)

PoE = Power over Ethernet

Ethernet over Power-Line is either:
Power-Line Communication (PLC)
or
Power-Line Networking (PLN)

You could probably get away with Ethernet over Power (EoP) too.

That's correct cortexodus. I have a Buffalo router that I'm using right now which ibadsume could be used as a bridge. It has the nice DD-WRT fw on it.

That's correct cortexodus. I have a Buffalo router that I'm using right now which ibadsume could be used as a bridge. It has the nice DD-WRT fw on it.

Hook the new router to the cable modem, then use the Buffalo as a bridge for your room's switch. Or vice versa. Party on :D

Now I'm on my computer. By "ibadsume" I meant "I assume" lol.

Yeah, sounds like a plan. Only issue is that the Buffalo router has been quirky lately so I may have to get a new router/WiFi bridge eventually anyway.

In case that happens, what would you recommend in particular to take advantage of the AC band?

Now I'm on my computer. By "ibadsume" I meant "I assume" lol.

Yeah, sounds like a plan. Only issue is that the Buffalo router has been quirky lately so I may have to get a new router/WiFi bridge eventually anyway.

In case that happens, what would you recommend in particular to take advantage of the AC band?

Check the options on that new router you got. If it has a bridge option on it maybe just get another one?

the 85mbps Netgear power line ethernet adapters are shit.

Pretty much all 85 Mb adapters are junk, but the newer ones (200/500 Mb) are a world of difference better - really - read some reviews comparing the old ones to anything modern.

You do say you're in an apartment - meaning neither WiFi or powerline adapters will ever work perfect.

5 GHz (or AC) is your best chance. Personally, I'd make sure I can't wire it or use MoCA before dumping money into what is essentially still 1st generation AC routers.

Back