Wifi access points worth buying? No linksys!!

soyodragon

n00b
First off, I hate linksys. I just lost faith in the quality of their products (befs11w4), the connection just keeps dropping, even five feet away!! I've tried numerious flash verisons and came to the conclusion that there's physically something wrong with these units. Obviously, their releasing products without testing them and they just don't care. So, I'm sending this one to hell and buying a new one. :mad:

What wireless router (non-linksys) should I invest into? I'm looking for something that has rock solid performance and 100mW+ power. Thanks! Oh, it can't have a defective DHCP like crapsys. :rolleyes:

the new belkin pre-n router comes out tomorrow I think, check it out.

Cisco doesn't make router/AP combos, which I believe is what your looking for. AP only, or you can get dedicated bridges (that have AP functionality) or workgroup bridges. I've never owned a Linksys product but I can tell you they are about as good as any other budget wireless brand gear. You got unlucky. It happens. Anyway, D-Link, Netgear, SMC. All popular SOHO equipment. It's really about what features and functions you want at the retail consumer wireless gear level. Throw a dart and see where it lands as far as reliability. They all have problems here and there. That's why they are so cheap. You could get a router and then plug a 5 or 600 dollar Cisco AP into it and yeah, you could rest easy that it would perform optimally, however that's not realistic. Well, not except for a very small percentage of the financially privileged. Not for a home environment anyway. Doubt you'll find a 100 mW radio in any affordable AP/router combo. Not without hacking the firmware or something along those lines and then you'd likely have distorted harmonics. Nope, if you want more power than the standard SOHO 30-50 mW then look for something with detachable antennas and boost your gain that way.

ktwebb said:
Cisco doesn't make router/AP combos, which I believe is what your looking for. AP only, or you can get dedicated bridges (that have AP functionality) or workgroup bridges. I've never owned a Linksys product but I can tell you they are about as good as any other budget wireless brand gear. You got unlucky. It happens. Anyway, D-Link, Netgear, SMC. All popular SOHO equipment. It's really about what features and functions you want at the retail consumer wireless gear level. Throw a dart and see where it lands as far as reliability. They all have problems here and there. That's why they are so cheap. You could get a router and then plug a 5 or 600 dollar Cisco AP into it and yeah, you could rest easy that it would perform optimally, however that's not realistic. Well, not except for a very small percentage of the financially privileged. Not for a home environment anyway. Doubt you'll find a 100 mW radio in any affordable AP/router combo. Not without hacking the firmware or something along those lines and then you'd likely have distorted harmonics. Nope, if you want more power than the standard SOHO 30-50 mW then look for something with detachable antennas and boost your gain that way.

802.11b Cisco Ap's can be had for under a 100 dollars these days. Hell I got one from the FS/FT forums for under 50 dollars shipped!

And I'm sure your quite happy with it. Congratulations. The link given was to new hardware. 1100's, 1200's, and 1400's. Not used 340's or even 350's.

Yep, if 6 Mb will suffice then a 350 series AP will do nicely, if he doesn't mind second hand gear.

So you had ONE unit go bad on you and you're ready to throw the rest of them out the door? How typical. :rolleyes:

Linksys has become one of the best of the "cheap" brand names out there. And when Cisco bought them I think that proved to the world that they had a decent product and were good enough to slap the Cisco name on them. As well as the extra cost for it. :p

Back