Wife will be folding!

capreppy

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2009
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Messages
3,410
So my wife and I were talking (we are on Vacay till tomorrow evening). I've been trying to keep up with the recruiting drive, but can only check my netbook once or twice a day.

We were talking about F@H and what it is and what it does. We talked for about an hour and she says she wants to start folding. I set up her rig to fold, but it only folds when she remembers to switch it over to the user that has the F@H clients that autostart.

I will be setting it up for her to run under her name (she hasn't picked one out yet) and if she gets addicted, we'll have a friendly competition in my home. Her business doesn't have the fiscal resources that my business does, but it'll be nice to see take pride and participation in this.

I did mention to her that I am doing ok on our folding team and that I would like to give additional CPU & GPU cycles to the cause, but that will take more boxen. I am still looking for an SR-2 rig (possibly 2 and then get rid of the GPU2 clients other than in my sig rig). I think I've gotten general approval to do so. I do have to wait till the end of summer as I had to write a rather sizable check to the IRS and that took all of my boxen fund.
 
She would have to pay for them if they are going to fold under HER name :D
 
Sounds like a great woman. Give her a big hug, just because. :)
 
Very nice!

My wife let me do all the folding and computer stuff (she likes facebook and that's about it) but she takes a bit of pride in our (my) ranking.

Side note: I'm beginning to think the SR-2 is a phantom.
 
More women folding would be good for the horde!!!

She won't be folding my laundry as I do the laundry in the house.

I do also wonder about the SR-2, but I know that it will come out eventually. Last I heard, it will be towards the end of the month before we see the SR-2. It's ok with me as I don't have the funds to go after as yet anyway. By the end of summer, I'll have one and maybe, just maybe 2. At $3K per rig with a pair of E5650's, they don't come cheap but, I think it will be possible to hit 150K PpD with each rig, if not more. You can go Tiger hunting with two of these boxen. It'll still take a while to reach his neck of the woods, but you can actually try to catch him where right now, I can only dream of it.

Back on topic, my wife is excited to start folding. We'll be heading back tomorrow afternoon and we'll get her rig up and running Wednesday morning.
 
tee hee :p

more folding women, nice, good to the [H]orde :)

In this hobby, it would actually be nice to get more women period. Things are like this in the automotive world as well as my former car clubs were all male dominated.
 
More women folding would be good for the horde!!!
Agreed! After all, they benefit from the science like the rest of us do. Give your wife a collective warm welcome from the team. :cool:

II think it will be possible to hit 150K PpD with each rig, if not more. You can go Tiger hunting with two of these boxen. It'll still take a while to reach his neck of the woods, but you can actually try to catch him where right now....
At present you would have been able if it was available, but you can rest assured he will be getting one as well when the time comes. He has a Skulltrail, and mentioned about replacing it with a SR-2 for his main rig. If my experience with ST wasn't so horrid, I might have been thinking along the same lines by the end of the year too, but like the old saying goes, once bitten, twice shy...
 
Agreed! After all, they benefit from the science like the rest of us do. Give your wife a collective warm welcome from the team. :cool:

At present you would have been able if it was available, but you can rest assured he will be getting one as well when the time comes. He has a Skulltrail, and mentioned about replacing it with a SR-2 for his main rig. If my experience with ST wasn't so horrid, I might have been thinking along the same lines by the end of the year too, but like the old saying goes, once bitten, twice shy...

yeah i know how it goes with the ST.. i blew up one a while back.. luckly it wasnt mine.. me and my friend were screwing around with his overclocking it.. whole friggin thing was water cooled.. pwm's, northbridge, cpu's.. was a nice ass rig.. and kapoot.. damn board just ran to hot.. didnt matter how many radiators you put on that thing it was literally impossible to keep the pwm/mosfets cool on that board.. was a nice board.. just not the board everyone thought it was going to be in the end.. which is what worries me about the SR-2.. might be a great board but you might not get the overclocking headroom everyone thinks they will get out of it.. and being that it is an EVGA board we can already expect at least 1 NF200 chipset on it but most likely will have 2 and i would not want to deal with the cooling on that damn thing when its overclocked..
 
yeah i know how it goes with the ST.. i blew up one a while back.. luckly it wasnt mine.. me and my friend were screwing around with his overclocking it.. whole friggin thing was water cooled.. pwm's, northbridge, cpu's.. was a nice ass rig.. and kapoot.. damn board just ran to hot.. didnt matter how many radiators you put on that thing it was literally impossible to keep the pwm/mosfets cool on that board.. was a nice board.. just not the board everyone thought it was going to be in the end.. which is what worries me about the SR-2.. might be a great board but you might not get the overclocking headroom everyone thinks they will get out of it.. and being that it is an EVGA board we can already expect at least 1 NF200 chipset on it but most likely will have 2 and i would not want to deal with the cooling on that damn thing when its overclocked..
I have the same concerns as you but honestly believe that the SR-2 will be heads above ST. Intel just doesn't have the experience that EVGA has with enthusiast products, let alone ultra high end dual-socket enthusiast platforms. I strongly believe they got way too deep in a market segment not entirely suited to them. /shrug

Regarding my personal experience, to be brief, it is like I have only one CPU on the board installed even if both are detected and the OS sees both of them. Performance is half expected or even less than my dual-socket Supermicro Xeon servers with very similar processors and clocks. It just doesn't make any sense. I can't run -bigadv on it because of this confounded issue. One CPU is a lot cooler than the other which could possibly be indicative of some kind of problem with the board, or maybe that is normal, IDK. I need to consult with others who still use it and see what they say. :confused:

Sorry capreppy for the OT! :eek:
 
Last edited:
I have the same concerns as you but honestly believe that the SR-2 will be heads above ST. Intel just doesn't have the experience that EVGA has with enthusiast products, let alone ultra high end dual-socket enthusiast platforms. I strongly believe they got way too deep in a market segment not entirely suited to them. /shrug

Regarding my personal experience, to be brief, it is like I have only one CPU on the board installed even if both are detected and the OS sees both of them. Performance is half expected or even less than my dual-socket Supermicro Xeon servers with very similar processors and clocks. It just doesn't make any sense. I can't run -bigadv on it because of this confounded issue. One CPU is a lot cooler than the other which could possibly be indicative of some kind of problem with the board, or maybe that is normal, IDK. I need to consult with others who still use it and see what they say. :confused:

Sorry capreppy for the OT! :eek:


make a thread in the multi processor section about the problem.. maybe one of them might know..
 
Back
Top