Wife introduced her Mom to the internet....

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperTension

[H]ard|Gawd
The title pretty much sums it up. We bought her a Lenovo Thinkpad (against he pleadings for my sanity) and needless-to-say it's been difficult. It came with W8 (not the best OS to start off with, especially when I made the choice to stay on W7) and the pain and angst starts there. Installed Start8, set up desktop and just haaaaad to go right to Facebook.

Agh, yes... Facebook. Where everything just NEEDS to be clicked or commented about. The land were EVERYBODY is your friend, or deserves to be....

Her Facebook account has been hijacked twice, both leading to her account being banned for 30 days. Both times she lasted less than 72 hours and had to create a new account.

I've have to restore it 5 times in the past 2 months, and reinstall the OS 3 times after being infected to the point where even Miley Cyrus cooter would be like "oh hell no". I'm running Kaspersky Pure 3.0 / Malwarebytes and somehow her magical "click" manages to bypass all of that completely without her knowledge.

**Funny note** She already called ATT and complained to them 3 times that since she paid for the internet, they need to unblock her Facebook account.

I'm at my emotional end with this.... I'm more of a hardware geek, hence my turning to you all for some help. What can I do?

I'm tempted to set her account to just "user" create an account for me as Admin, but I know she'll be pissed because she cant just install everything that just has to be clicked on. What options do I have?

I would deep freeze the system, or just install Linux and call it a day. I'm too cranky to suffer through this sort of insanity again.

Use a sandbox for her browser, then her PC wont get infected from the web.
Sandboxie is good.

Setup up restricted user account, tell here to write down anything extra she needs to install, wait one week, install those things for her, then leave her account back in lockdown.

You can't help people like this in a reasonable amount of time, you just need to lock them out from their own stupidity. Eventually she will start getting credit card and banking information stolen, then she will really need to call ATT to bitch :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back