wierdest remote desktop problem ever...

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
have three desktops here at work that people use to log into from home. I am using the default port for one machine, and have changed the ports on the other two machines to none standard port #'s.... it has been working fine for like a year... just about a week ago, one of the machines cannot be contacted... as soon as you try to connect to it with the non standard port it goes to one of the OTHER machines(the one with the standard port) on the network, even though everything IS port forwarded correctly... I have tried uninstalling remote desktop and reinstalling it, but same thing...

this is what happens when I go to my browser....

http://ipaddresshere: port#here/tsweb

machine # 1 with default ports - works great.
machine # 2 with non default ports - works great
machine #3 with non default ports - goes to machine with default ports

Any ideas??

I changed ports to WAY off ports, and it still goes to the default machine no matter WHAT port it is!!

I just tried 2222 and 9999 for giggles... forwarded them to 10.10.10.248(machine #3) and it STILL goes to machine 10.10.10.250(machine #1)

Wow....odd one, what gets me...is that the client is redirected to the first machine. What the heck is doing this?

I take it you've tried this from another machine...just to test some sort of funky caching mstsc has?

I see you mention doing it via tsweb...but if you run mstsc /console does it do the same?

Do you have any saved mstsc connection profiles inside of my docs you can delete?

Is this always going through a VPN or firewall? Or are you producing this behavior on the local LAN?

Try killing off the first machine as a host, and see what it does...

Have you restarted your router?

Yes I restarted the router... it's an IPCop.... I will try shutting down the machine #1 and see what happens...

YeOlde... mstsc /console? Never heard of it... I will look into that as well. This is all being done over the internet, and not the local network....

YeOlde... mstsc /console? Never heard of it... I will look into that as well. This is all being done over the internet, and not the local network....

So this is straight port forwarding through the router, ewww but ok lol

For this you don't have to changes the listening port on the computer, just use nat translations on the router.

Example, this is from a cisco but its the same concept

static (inside,outside) tcp interface 3390 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 3389 netmask 255.255.255.255
(RDP user will use xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3390 to get to their computer)

Yes I restarted the router... it's an IPCop.... I will try shutting down the machine #1 and see what happens...

Ahh, I'd want to try it from inside the network. See if the behavior follows.
With the router (IPCop) in place...you may have some funky port redirecting going on. So...trying to connect from the local network...will determine if the affected "host" machines are funky, or not.

You know how sometimes when you RD into a desktop...you don't see what you normally would see if you were sitting literally in front of the machine with keyboard/mouse/monitor (console)? Doing start ==>run==> mstsc /console brings you that true console view.

Like..right now I'm remoted into a server with normal mstsc running SBS Backup, so I see the NTBackup utility on the screen. Yet..if I log onto the server locally with the same account...I don't see it. BUT...if I logged in remotely with mstsc /console..and fired up NTBackup..and saw it on the screen.then I walked over and logged in locally..I would see it.

I just thought in your case..logging in with the /console switch might correct some cached quirkiness.

Ahh, I'd want to try it from inside the network. See if the behavior follows.
With the router (IPCop) in place...you may have some funky port redirecting going on. So...trying to connect from the local network...will determine if the affected "host" machines are funky, or not.

You know how sometimes when you RD into a desktop...you don't see what you normally would see if you were sitting literally in front of the machine with keyboard/mouse/monitor (console)? Doing start ==>run==> mstsc /console brings you that true console view.

Like..right now I'm remoted into a server with normal mstsc running SBS Backup, so I see the NTBackup utility on the screen. Yet..if I log onto the server locally with the same account...I don't see it. BUT...if I logged in remotely with mstsc /console..and fired up NTBackup..and saw it on the screen.then I walked over and logged in locally..I would see it.

I just thought in your case..logging in with the /console switch might correct some cached quirkiness.

Ok.... but how do I change the port, so I can choose which machine I am wanting to get into? When I do that, it automatically goes to the machine with the default ports... how can I change it so I can get into the other two machines WITHOUT the default ports??

/? comes through again...

Ok... over the network it works just fine... without a hitch.... so it's the stupid IPCop doing it... what's the deal with that? Anyone see something like this before? Maybe I will try rebooting the thing. Talk about wierd.

/? comes through again...

Ok... over the network it works just fine... without a hitch.... so it's the stupid IPCop doing it... what's the deal with that? Anyone see something like this before? Maybe I will try rebooting the thing. Talk about wierd.

Can you post a screenie of your port forwarding?

Back