Wierd variation of temps on my e8400

Ruckus

Hardforum Moderator-in-Chief
Staff member
ok is their a problem with my proc? I have an e8400 with a tuniq tower and when i have core temp 0.96.1 open it is reading my proc @ core #0 90C-91C and Core #1 49C-50C both are brand new.

I switched to the retail HS/F and same thing 92C and 52C

A lot of people are reporting strange temperature readings on the E8400 chips. The conclusion is generally a motherboard incompatibility with the E8400's temperature sensors.

Built two computers just in the past month with the 8400's. On one the temp of core #1 was stuck at 42*, and they other would fluctuate from 42* to 47* at idle. On the second build neither core is stuck, but both cores read in the 37* - 40* range. I used speedfan to read the temps on both. So the second one actually idles at a lower temp than the first one. Both cpus were cooled using a Zalman 9700. Coretemp generally read 5* higher on both cores. It's really tough to know which program to trust. It seemed that Coretemps was always closer to my bios temps, so I usually go with that one.

Im using coretemp but a 40degree difference is alot more than anyone is reporting thats why im worried. I mean if I have a core running @ 90C on 333 x 9 imagine if i tried to overclock.

Back