Wierd service problems with new pcs on domain, please help.

lAciDl

Limp Gawd
In Jan of this year we upgraded 2 servers for a company. 1 2003 SBS running as DC with exchange, and other 2003 standard server running their SQL for accounting. Now everything with the servers is fine and dandy.

Problem 1: All new computers are having problems. Only the new pcs ( 3 HP laptops, 1 desktop that we built). Randomly all the networking services turn off ( workstation, server, computer browser, auto update, dhcp client, and windows firewall (ICS error# 5)) The firewall will not turn on at all. So they just randomly lose connectivity to the server. I have set all the services to restart on failure 3 times, but no luck. They still have internet/email access but no networking.

We've been dealing with this problem for months with no results. I'm kinda at a loss right now with what to do. Is anyone else having these symptoms?

Note:
New laptops are HP's running XP Pro.
New desktop is C2D built by us running XP Pro.
All old laptops are IBM thinkpads running XP Pro.

Thanks
-Jeff

Couple of questions:

How did you attach these computers to the domain, using the ConnectComputer wizard or manually?

Are any of these computers configured to use ICS?

Any errors in the event logs for the computers or server?

Finally, if you run RSOP.MSC from one of these computers, does it complete without errors?

How did you attach these computers to the domain, using the ConnectComputer wizard or manually?
all pc's were joined using the ConnectComputer wizard

Are any of these computers configured to use ICS?
If you mean, ICS is used to control the firewall, then yes. otherwise no.

Any errors in the event logs for the computers or server?
yes ~10 errors on the desktop, the laptops i cannot view the event logs through the server.
and again these errors are only on the new pc's.

all the errors deal with filter checks for GPO's
"Windows cannot preform filter check for GPO.(object) ...Filter cannot be found. GPO will be skipped."

Finally, if you run RSOP.MSC from one of these computers, does it complete without errors?
I cannot run this right now, im not onsite and i dont want to disturb the clients while they are working. but im almost certain it will come back with the same errors.

If you mean, ICS is used to control the firewall, then yes. otherwise no.

I'm not sure what you mean by this - can you elaborate?

yes ~10 errors on the desktop, the laptops i cannot view the event logs through the server.
and again these errors are only on the new pc's.

all the errors deal with filter checks for GPO's
"Windows cannot preform filter check for GPO.(object) ...Filter cannot be found. GPO will be skipped."

can you provide the error #'s from the logs?

That's odd, I'm not seeing a single thing with 1107 and "Windows cannot perform filter check for GPO"

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1107&source=

My mistake its 1104 not 7, sorry.

error.jpg

i may have found the culprit. Another of my clients started having the same problem with his HP laptop. guess what, they're all using intel 945 chipsets.

Thanks pigster for giving me a hand with my headache.

-Jeff

Back