wierd problems

lukeh182

Gawd
all of the sudden my two cdrom drives are going screwy. i installed a new hd and everything was working fine now all of the sudden my cd-rw dvd drive has an orange light on but it doesn't show up in my computer or in the bios. my other cdrom shows up really strange. in my computer it says iATARI 4;X CDzOM i i ! and i have no idea what is going on. anyone??

The only thing I can think of is if you have the jumpers incorrectly set on the drive.

Other than that, it doesn't make any sense.

I'm going to make a couple assumptions in trying to help you since you didn't provide details.
1) You aren't using RAID controllers in your current system setup.
2) Each HD and CDRom is plugged into one of the 2 standard IDE channels and you aren't using SATA or anything like that.

So here we go. Originally how was your system setup before installing the new drive? You have 2 IDE channels with a cable for each which can connect to two devices.
Its safe to say that your main Hard Drive was installed on IDE Channel 1 as the primary drive. It would have been connected to the far connector on the IDE cable you were using.
Where, before you installed the 2nd Hard Drive, where did you have the CDRom's at? Was one plugged into the same cable as the hard drive and another on its own cable? Or were they both on the same cable?

What I would recommend is that you have both hard drives on the same cable. Make sure that they are either both set to Cable Select (with the little jumpers on them) or that you set your boot drive to Master and your 2nd drive to Slave (via the jumpers on the HD's). For the CDRoms, I would have both of them also on the same ribbon cable (I suppose you could get away with the 36pin ribbon cable --it has fewer ribs in the ribbon-- but I would personally put a 72-pin cable on it) and set them to either Cable Select or to the master/slave configuration (via jumpers on CDRoms) that you did with the harddrive.

edit
NM I see in your sig now that you have a SATA 200gb drive. Have you checked in bios to make sure that the IDE channels and the SATA channels are all turned on correctly?
If your motherboard has different options for whether SATA or IDE or both will be on, make sure you select a setting that turns both of them on. Put the single IDE drive onto the Primary IDE channel as Master. Proceed with CDRom setup in the way described above.

i try my best to explain in detail but i never sem to do very well. so here goes. again. right now i'm not even running my SATA HD because i don't have it completely setup yet. it is installed but not in use. that is the ONLY thing that has changed. the cdrom drives and the 60 gig hd are all still conected like they were before the new hd. so in simple terms the new sata hd is the only thing that changed in the whole entire system. does that help any?

First off, unplug the SATA HD. Does it post with everything else correctly now?
If it works fine like it did before the SATA HD, then try plugging the SATA HD into another SATA port until you successfully post with all devices. If Nothing seems to work (having the SATA HD plugged in any SATA port == weird CDRom detection problems), then I'd say look around in Bios to make certain you've got the right settings to be running IDE and SATA channels together simultaneously, then when its all setup correctly (consult the manual for details), try again and if you don't have any luck, see if you can get proper detection of all 3 IDE devices by switching them around. Also if your CDroms are set to Case Select, make one set to master and another to Slave via jumpers just to make sure no weirdness is happening from that somehow.
Good luck

tired all of that even with only my combo drive and regular hd installed the light on the drive is still on and it won't show up in bios or windows. i also tried to update the firmware but because it isn't showing up in windows it won't let me upgrade it. i tired the lite on troubleshoot and faq pages and it got me no where. i also tried to send a problem report but i don't know if it went through or not. gave me an action cancelled page or something after i hit submit and i got pissed off so i didn't attempt to send another one. i'm hoping it went through anyways. any more ideas???

Back