Wierd problem

Sven_Lee

Limp Gawd
I got the Vista beta, put it on DVD and installed it on a spare hard drive.. Wierd thing is, it won't boot Vista without the DVD in the drive..

Even wierder, now, when I reconnected my XP drive (vista drive disconnected as well), I get the same problem. It won't boot without the Vista DVD??

Same error each time for Vista and XP- "Disk boot failure. Please insert system disk and press enter"

??

Any ideas? I'm hoping I don't have to reformat my system again. Getting tired of that.

Also when I try to boot up Vista in safe mode it won't let me use the OS in safe mode. Just tries to get me to install/repair Vista.. Hrmmm.

The first thing I'd try is running a fixboot command from your XP CD in the recovery console.

Make sure your HD is listed in the boot device list in BIOS setup. If it is then for XP you can boot from the XP setup cd and choose R for the recovery console. It'll scan for an installation and ask for the administrator password if it finds one. run the fixmbr command and reboot. If that doesn't work, then you're probably looking at a reformat.

Back