Wierd problem with my Q9650 on my Asus P5b-Deluxe wifi

fifthgear

Weaksauce
So i got my Q9650 installed and working last night (what a nightmare that was!) The problem is, when i took out one set of memory it booted up and ran fine. If i left all 4 gigs in, i would not get past the bios screen with the number of processors and their speed.

The memory i have is - purchased one set of this in Feb 2007, and another set in March 2008
Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134012

I haven't had a chance to take out the memory i bought back in 2007, and try just the set from 2008 to see if theres an issue with just that newer set. If that newer memory doesnt work, could it be a timing things, or just a compatibility issue?

Have you tried doing a BIOS update? Also try setting your timings and voltages manually in the BIOS.

I updated to 1237 which is the recomended one to get this processor to work. Im scared to upgrade it to the latest (1238) for fear that it wont boot at all (experienced this last night)

Sounds like you need a bump on the memory controller voltage to accomodate the load of 4 modules. IIRC, the neighborhood of 1.4v to 1.5v was safe on the 965 chipset but I can't be sure. You may want to Google or just experiment by increasing NBv in small steps till you can boot and test for stability.

Its the board. I have a P5B and to run my 4x1gb 800mhz XMS2 and Q9400 at stock settings and timings I have to bump the NB voltage to 1.45 and memory to 2.0. I never had a problem with my E6420. I'm on the newest non-beta Bios for my board. I'm looking to move over to a EP45-UD3R soon since I really can't overclock and keep voltages under what I feel is comfortable for 24/7 settings.

Back