Wierd problem with Dell Optiplex 755

loss4words

Weaksauce
Hi guys. I have a weird problem going on at work that I'm trying to figure out and I'm not sure what's happening.

So I got a call from a user on Monday saying that when they're working on their computer the screen would just go black, but after they move their mouse and press any keys on the keyboard everything is ok again. The problem is this happens very often. So I went to see what's going and set screen saver and hibernation settings to never, restarted, etc... Shortly after I got a call from the same user saying that there's still a problem. I went back again and found that the changes that I made and verified were back to what it was before.

Then, ever since monday I had several users report this problem. All of them use Optiplex 755, but it we have many users with 755 that didn't report a problem and seem to be ok. I'm stumped. I was going to turn off hibernation in BIOS, but that's just a temporary solution. Re-imaging is not a possibility. Any ideas?

Do you have a domain policy enforcing those Power settings on some users or machines?

No, we don't. It is also happening on some 755's not all of them, so I assumed this is not a server side issue.

This is a detour from the power management idea, but we have had video problems with several Dell Optiplex systems in my lab (745, 755 and 960s). We had similar problems where the screen would just go blank randomly, though in our case, the monitor indicated that is was actually losing all video feed (no signal as opposed to just going to sleep). We tracked this down to loose video connections. I have no idea why it seems so prevalent, sometime changing out the cables/adapters helped, in some instances we had to reseat the video card. I think we have had about 3-4 systems doing this in just the past month or two. Worth a look anyway.

Back