• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wierd lockup problem with new 500GB Seagate

elchorizo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 26, 2004
Messages
234
Hey guys. I got one of those 500GB Seagates from Newegg on black friday friday. The other day I had a wierd issue.

I'd been using the new drive for a few days when my system locked up. It didn't crash to black, the desktop stayed up, but I couldn't move the mouse or type or anything. I rebooted and it wouldnt post at all! I was kind of freaked out. I unplugged the new drive and the computer booted right up. I left it unplugged a few days and just plugged it back in tonight. It seems to be working fine but now I'm worried.

Do you guys think it could be a power issue? The drive sounds fine and seems to be working great so I'm not sure thats it. I'm running an Antec TruePower2.0 480W. Also in the comp is an ATI X850XT (pci-e) and 3 total hardisks (the new Seagate, a 300GB Seagate, and a 250GB Seagate).

What do you guys think?
Thanks,
-elchorizo
 
test out the drive manually on another machine with a seagate utility. boot-up to an ultimate boot disk to test it out. See if there are any issues this way.
 
Cool, I'll do that tomorrow after work. Thanks for the suggestion.

btw, my name is Marshall so I dig your username :p

-elchorizo
 
elchorizo said:
Cool, I'll do that tomorrow after work. Thanks for the suggestion.

btw, my name is Marshall so I dig your username :p

-elchorizo

Hey, no double sigs, rule #25 ;)
 
I was having a similiar problem. I purchased a Seagate 320gb drive from Newegg and my computer started locking up as well. It would get to the Windows XP loading screen (black background, colored logo) and it would sit there forever. Unplugging the drive, starting teh computer, then plugging in the drive after getting to the desktop and everything was fine. After not finding answers here, I reinstalled windows and all is peachy.
 
Back
Top