Wierd Issue Regarding Speed Tests

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
This just starting happening about a week or go now. When I go to speakeasy.net and run their speed test I'm getting odd results. I have an 8MBps down / 8MBps up fiber connection. When I have my laptops on my wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) I get 7890 kbps down and 1.5 - 2.9 kbps up. When I plug that same laptop into the router via cat5 I get 7901 down and 7890 up. Which is pretty much right on speed wise.

When I run the speed test from my server, which is directly connected to the fiber and all the internet runs through that server; it gets 7879 down and 1670 kbps up. It will get that speed pretty religiously. Almost as if the upload is capped, but I know that the upload can't be capped becuase when I plug my laptop directly into the router I'm getting my full upload.

Any ideas as to why my tests are so messed up? About a week ago all clients (wireless, hard wired or the server itself) were all right around the 7800 down / 7800 kbps up. Nothing on my end has changed. The server has been bounced a few times.

It's not a big deal becuase I don't really put much thought into speed tests, but it's kind of weird that this all of a sudden starting happening. Any ideas?

Back